Finding a company that provides car shipping to Alaska can be tricky, as some vehicle transporters only service the lower 48 states. To simplify things, we’ll explain the process of shipping a car to Alaska before diving into average costs and provider recommendations.
We’ve reviewed the industry’s best car shipping companies, and we suggest that you explore top options for car shipping to Alaska before choosing a carrier.
What To Expect When Shipping A Car To Alaska
Alaska’s harsh winter weather conditions tend to complicate shipping cars across the state, adding delays and unexpected costs. While the summer months are generally cool and rainy, winters are harsh and snowy with freezing temperatures. If you’re planning on car shipping in Alaska during the winter, be prepared for road conditions to prolong transit times.
Though weather can play a huge role in car shipping across Alaska, this depends on the area. For example, Juneau and most of southeast Alaska experience milder weather than elsewhere in the state, so there are far fewer transport issues. Fairbanks, however, is the coldest major city in the United States, with average lows reaching minus 17 degrees Fahrenheit in January.
Depending on your plans for car shipping to Alaska, it may be best to consider enclosed versus open-car shipping. Open transport will expose your vehicle to rain and snow, road debris, and extreme temperatures, so aim to have your car protected.
Cost Of Car Shipping In Alaska
Car shipping costs for Alaska depend on the type of vehicle you have, the location you’re shipping from, and the time of year when you will be shipping it. The national average shipping rate ranges from $500 to $1,500, but for Alaska, this can range from $1,500 to $4,500.
The shipping method and service you choose can also affect how much you’ll pay for Alaska vehicle transport. Commonly used services for auto shipping in Alaska include:
- Open auto transport: Your car will be transported on an open, two-tiered transport trailer holding multiple cars. This option isn’t usually recommended because of Alaska’s cold weather conditions, but it’s the cheapest and most popular option for auto transport.
- Enclosed auto transport: Your car will be loaded into a fully enclosed trailer and kept protected from outside elements. This option is preferred for Alaska car shipping because your vehicle will be safe from the state’s cold and harsh weather.
- Terminal-to-terminal transport: This is a good option for cheap car shipping versus door-to-door transport because your car will be dropped off and picked up at the terminals nearest to your destination. While door-to-door shipping is popular, it’s rarely available in Alaska.
We received quotes for Alaska car shipping from two of the best car shipping companies. These rates should provide a clearer understanding of average pricing for moving vehicles between states such as Washington, Florida, and Hawaii and Alaskan cities such as Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau.
Easy Auto Ship Quotes For Alaska Car Shipping
Easy Auto Ship offers affordable rates for Alaska car shipping, as its average prices range from $1,500 to $4,500. This goes for both shorter and cross-country transport trips.
|Car Shipping Route||Cost|
|Juneau, Alaska, to Tacoma, Wash.||$1,900|
|Seattle to Valdez, Alaska||$2,300|
|Anchorage, Alaska, to Miami||$3,493|
|Wrangell, Alaska, to Fairbanks, Alaska||$4,200|
|New York City to Anchorage, Alaska||$4,220|
|Valdez, Alaska, to Honolulu||$4,484|
*These examples from Easy Auto Ship’s quote tool are based on the lowest rate offered for an operable 2016 Honda CR-V.
uShip Quotes For Alaska Car Shipping
For Alaska, uShip’s rates range from $1,600 for a local vehicle shipment to upward of $9,000 for long-distance transports. Remember that rates found in the uShip online marketplace may be significantly lower than the quotes listed below.
|Car Shipping Route||Cost|
|Juneau, Alaska, to Sitka, Alaska||$1,610|
|Fairbanks, Alaska, to Anchorage, Alaska||$2,283|
|Ketchikan, Alaska, to Tacoma, Wash.||$3,103|
|Honolulu to Skagway, Alaska||$3,998|
|Valdez, Alaska, to New York City||$8,036|
|Kodiak, Alaska, to Miami||$9,010|
*These examples from uShip’s quote tool are based on the lowest rate offered for an operable 2016 Honda CR-V.
Requirements for Alaska Car Shipping
When planning car shipping to Alaska, you’ll need to have certain documents and information available. To ensure that you have an easy and worry-free shipping process, gather all information ahead of your vehicle’s date of departure.
These are the basic requirements for Alaska auto shipping:
- Photo identification: To fulfill this requirement, you can provide either a driver’s license or a passport.
- Car insurance documentation: You’re not legally required to have auto insurance when shipping your car, but some car carriers may require you to have it.
- Proof of ownership: You can prove vehicle ownership by showing car title documentation.
- Vehicle information: You’ll need to include details about your vehicle’s year, make, and model to get a quote on car shipping to Alaska.
- Information about yourself and the car recipient: When sending out your booking, include information about yourself and the car recipient. The shipping company will ask for your name, email address, phone number, and the addresses for pickup and drop-off.
These requirements are usually the industry standard for car shipping companies, but some companies might have different requirements. It’s smart to look into what each provider asks for when getting car shipping quotes online as you figure out your plans for car shipping in Alaska.
While it may seem like a good idea to pack personal items in your car when moving to or from Alaska, it’s not recommended. Anything that gets broken is not covered under contingent cargo insurance, and nearly every auto shipper prohibits the practice anyway.
Recommended Providers For Alaska Car Shipping
We have researched the best companies for Alaska car transport, and from this we’ve determined that Easy Auto Ship and uShip are among the industry’s best choices.
Easy Auto Ship: Best For A Quick Pickup
Easy Auto Ship is a top choice for car shipping to Alaska because of its affordable rates, convenient online booking process, and solid customer service. The company provides various vehicle shipping choices, such as door-to-door delivery and expedited transport, while promising not to hit customers with additional fees mid-shipment.
Easy Auto Ship reviews from customers give the company an impressive 4.64 rating out of 5.0-stars from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and 4.6 stars out of 5.0 on Google Reviews.
uShip: Best Car Shipping Marketplace
The online marketplace from uShip provides a staggering number of car shipping options by connecting customers with a network of vehicle transporters who bid for their shipments.
The company has a great industry reputation and is known as one of the country’s best car shipping companies. With an A+ rating and accreditation from the BBB and 4.3 out of 5.0-stars from customers on Trustpilot, uShip is a superior choice for car shipping to Alaska. Find more in our complete uShip review.
FAQ: Car Shipping To Alaska
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of car shipping companies to formulate rankings of the best transporters. Providers receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Reputation: Shippers with a history of strong business practices and endorsements from experts receive the highest scores in this category.
- Cost: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of shipping routes, distances, and vehicles. Companies with lower prices and many discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Services: This rating is based on types of auto transport services available, insurance coverage, and the ability to guarantee pick-up and dropoff dates.
- Customer Experience: We comb through customer reviews and perform our own shopper analysis to get a sense of the responsiveness and helpfulness of each car transporter.