To test each car drying towel in our review, we wanted to consider what we deemed the most important aspect you’d want and expect in a car drying towel: absorbency, undetectability, and durability. Each criterion helped us determine how well the towel performed throughout our testing process while comparing all the car-drying towels in our review.
Arguably the most important characteristic of a car drying towel is its ability to absorb moisture. Our product testing team used each car drying towel to dry a panel of a car after a car wash to test its absorbent properties.
This testing criterion combines three separate testing categories: whether a car drying towel is lint-free, whether it leaves behind streaks, and if it is scratch-resistant. Our team carefully examined each panel of the car to check for lint, streaks, and scratches left on the car’s exterior after drying.
To get the most out of a car drying towel, it should be reusable. Keeping this in mind, a member of our product testing team took home the used car drying towels to machine wash them. Following the towels being washed, we checked each towel to see if it lost any absorbency or unraveled in the washing machine.
How We Score Products
Star ratings help us differentiate between the top-performing products in our reviews. By giving each product a numerical rating, we can evaluate each item and give an honest review based on our testing experience. Based on the towels in our review, we calculated an average rating of 4.4 out of 5.0 stars.
- 5.0 Stars: A 5.0-star rating is a well above average score and a high score for any product in our reviews. If the car drying towel in our review had great absorbency without looking too worn down after use and also left no streaking or fabric on our vehicle, you’d see a 5.0-star rating.
- 4.0 Stars: A 4.0-star rating is an above-average rating. If we notice slight absorbency issues because the towel is lower in quality or a smaller size compared to the other towels in our review, you’d see a 4.0-star rating for absorbency.
- 3.0 Stars: A 3.0-star rating is an average score. If we notice that the car drying towel in this review leaves noticeable streaking in some areas of our vehicle, you’d see an average score of 3.0 stars.
- 2.0 Stars: A 2.0-star rating is a below-average score. If we notice durability issues, such as fibers being left behind, also affecting undetectability, you’d see a 2.0-star rating.
- 1.0 Star: A 1.0-star rating is the lowest score possible in any of our reviews. If we notice a towel that severely lacks absorbency or durability with a lot of streaking or fibers left behind, we’d give the towel 1.0 stars.
Why Trust Motor1.com
Each year, we test over 350 auto products on vehicles and in our testing lab. Our team of product testers thoroughly researches top products, unboxes and puts our hands on each component, and tests the items on real vehicles before making recommendations to readers.
We publish hundreds of product and service reviews to bring car enthusiasts detailed guides on automotive tools, detailing kits, car seats, pet products, and much more. For more information on our testing methodology and how we evaluate every product, check out our methodology page here.
*Data accurate at time of publication. Products subject to availability.