Below you’ll find our testing process to select the five best car buffers on the market. Speed, maneuverability, and versatility played the biggest role in scoring each car buffer differently.
Speed: We first noted the speed range of each car buffer, with those with larger speed ranges scoring the highest. We then went through the process of buffing out our test vehicle, seeing how well the various speed settings matched the buffing process.
Maneuverability: Somewhat related to whether each car buffer was corded or cordless, we judged how easy it was to maneuver around our test vehicle. Cordless car buffers that were lightweight and easy to carry scored best in this testing criterion.
Versatility: With each car buffer, we judged each stage of the buffing process noting how effective it was in each stage. Buffers that were not only a good value but also left great results and included the essentials to buff and shine our vehicle scored highest in this category.
How We Score Products
Among all the car buffers in this review, we calculated an average of 4.5 out of 5.0 stars. Based on this, and by looking at our scoring criteria below, all car buffers in this review scored above average when considering speed, maneuverability, and versatility.
- 5.0 Stars: A 5.0-star rating means a car buffer is among the best in a category. If a car buffer exceeds our expectations in all aspects of our testing criteria, we give the car buffer the highest score in this review, putting it in our top position.
- 4.0 Stars: A 4.0-star rating means a car buffer performs better than average in a category. If the buffer’s rotation speed is higher than others, while being easy to maneuver, you can expect to see an above-average score.
- 3.0 Stars: A 3.0-star rating indicates what is average or typical for a car buffer, based on our testing experience. An average score means that speed, maneuvering, and versatility all met our expectations and the car buffer worked as we predicted.
- 2.0 Stars: A 2.0-star rating indicates the car buffer performs adequately in a category, but is poorer than the average car buffer. For example, if the car buffer doesn’t leave good results on our testing car’s exterior, making it less effective, you’ll see a below-average score.
- 1.0 Star: A 1.0-star rating indicates that the car buffer performs well below expectations in a category. An example of a below-average rating would be if we experienced a car buffer’s rotation speed working inconsistently or not working at all throughout our testing process.
Why Trust Motor1.com?
Each year, we test over 350 auto products on vehicles and in our testing lab. Our team of product testers thoroughly researches top products, unboxes and puts our hands on each component, and tests the items on real vehicles before making recommendations to readers.
We publish hundreds of product and service reviews to bring car enthusiasts detailed guides on automotive tools, detailing kits, car seats, pet products, and much more. For more information on our testing methodology and how we evaluate every product, check out our methodology page here.
*Data accurate at time of publication. Products subject to availability.