We linked all of the devices to one iPhone 12 Pro Max running iOS 15.2. Next, members of our product team hid the devices across our company parking lot in random locations within 200.0 ft. of each other. One team member was asked to locate all of the devices and rate their tracking experiences.
To test the location accuracy of each key finder, we downloaded the corresponding app on our smartphone to see how the app would react and how accurate the location would be to where we placed each key finder. The key finders that provided the most accurate results and provided notification updates through the smartphone app scored highest in this category.
When you’ve lost your keys, a ringer sound can make locating your lost item much easier. To test this, we activated the ringer on each key finder through the corresponding smartphone app. The loudest sounds that made it easier for us to find our car keys scored highest in this category during testing.
While we wanted to compare the prices of each key finder in this review, we also reviewed the added costs that may be essential to having access to the full functionality of the product. We looked into subscription prices, comparing what was offered in each subscription plan, battery prices and longevity, and other features or warranties that might come with each key finder. The key finders that we found to have a better value for long-term use scored highest in this category.
How We Score Products
Star ratings help us differentiate between the top-performing products in our reviews. By comparing sound level, location precision, and the overall value of each key finder in this review, we could evaluate and compare the key finders we tested. Among the key finders we tested, we calculated an average rating of 4.7 out of 5.0 stars.
- 5.0 Stars: A 5.0-star rating is a high score for any product in our review. For key finders, if we notice that the product is of great value when considering locating distance and accuracy as well as a loud and consistent alarm sound, we would likely give the key finder a 5.0-star rating.
- 4.0 Stars: A 4.0-star rating is an above-average score. If the key finder still exceeded our expectations but maybe had a slightly lower range than other key finders on the market and in our review, you’ll likely see a 4.0-star rating for locating abilities.
- 3.0 Stars: A 3.0-star rating is an average score. If we notice that the key finder sounds a loud alarm but is inconsistent, meaning it shuts on and off and could affect the ease of finding your keys, we would likely give the finder 3.0 stars.
- 2.0 Stars: A 2.0-star rating is a below-average rating. If we notice that a key finder’s sound alarm has a lower decibel level than other key finders in our review, we would give the key finder 2.0 stars for sound.
- 1.0 Star: A 1.0-star rating is the lowest score we give in any of our reviews. If the key finder is defective in some way and doesn’t accurately track where our keys were during the testing process, you’d see a 1.0-star rating.
Why Trust Motor1.com
Each year, we test over 350 auto products on vehicles and in our testing lab. Our team of product testers thoroughly researches top products, unboxes and puts our hands on each component, and tests the items on real vehicles before making recommendations to readers.
We publish hundreds of product and service reviews to bring car enthusiasts detailed guides on automotive tools, detailing kits, car seats, pet products, and much more. For more information on our testing methodology and how we evaluate every product, check out our methodology page here.
*Data accurate at time of publication. Products subject to availability.