If you are trying to find out if Meemic auto insurance is the best choice to protect your vehicle, you’ve come to the right place. In this review, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about the company, including Meemic insurance reviews, coverage options, available discounts, and more.
We’ve spent hours researching the best car insurance providers in the United States, and here, we’re going to dig deep into Meemic. To see what coverage is available in your state and to get free quotes from leading providers, use the tool above.
Meemic Insurance Company Overview
Meemic Insurance Company was formed in 1950 by a group of teachers who wanted to provide affordable insurance to their colleagues. Today, Meemic has maintained its focus on educators and is available to teachers, retirees, and others working in the education field in Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin.
Meemic Insurance Coverage
Meemic offers limited coverage options compared to most providers. Of the six standard types of car insurance, Meemic insurance only offers the following coverages:
- Liability insurance (BI/PD): Covers the cost of property damage or bodily injury to a third-party when you’re at fault for an accident
- Comprehensive coverage: Covers the cost of damage to your own vehicle after an incident that isn’t a collision, such as damage from vandalism, storms, or theft
- Collision coverage: Covers the cost of damage to your own vehicle after a collision
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance (UM/UIM): Covers the cost of damages if an uninsured or underinsured motorist causes an auto accident and doesn’t have enough coverage to pay for your medical bills or vehicle repairs
Noticeably, medical payment coverage (MedPay) and personal injury protection insurance (PIP) are not available from Meemic.
Most auto insurance providers also offer optional coverage, such as rental reimbursement coverage, accident forgiveness, or roadside assistance coverage. Unfortunately, Meemic insurance only one add-on: antique car insurance.
While Meemic’s coverage options are limited, the company’s insurance policies are geared toward the specific needs of teachers. For example, Meemic has exclusive coverage that offers no deductible for comprehensive losses that occur on school property.
How Much Does Meemic Auto Insurance Cost?
Meemic insurance advertises 35-percent discounts for its members. If we take the average annual U.S. auto insurance payment, $1,470, as a base, we can estimate a yearly premium of $955.50 per year, or $79.63 per month with Meemic.
Meemic Insurance Discounts
You can get a lower price on your Meemic auto insurance rate using these discounts:
- Newly certified teacher discount
- Multi-policy discount
- Vehicle anti-theft discount
- Paid-in-full discount
Meemic Insurance Reviews And Ratings
Meemic’s customer service is one of its most advertised features. According to a 2016 survey of its members, 97 percent would recommend Meemic to a friend after having gone through the insurance claims process themselves.
Meemic insurance has an A+ rating and is accredited by the BBB. Additionally, there are zero Meemic insurance reviews listed on the BBB and only nine complaints filed in the last three years.
Google Reviews lists 75 customer reviews and rates Meemic 3.7 out of 5.0 stars.
Many other websites have nothing but enthusiastic reviews, so it is hard to say what your own experience will be. Here’s what some customers had to say:
Positive Meemic Insurance Review
“I have had Meemic car insurance for the past few years. Last month, my car was totaled. Meemic has been absolutely amazing. I have made a total of two phone calls, one to file the claim and one to follow up. Everything has been taken care of. It has been great!”
– Misty Bell via Google Reviews
Negative Meemic Insurance Review
“Very disappointed with Meemic since they try to tell you that you will get good pricing the first year and then increase rates by over 15 percent with no claims. It takes time and effort to change insurance companies. I was with another company for over 20 years and switched since the agent said this company was wonderful for teachers. I was scammed, and I believed they were an honorable company. I asked the agent for his boss to call me so I could discuss this and no one ever cared to call. Very disappointed in moving to a company I thought I could trust.”
– Kristie B. via BBB
Our Take On Meemic Auto Insurance: 4.0 Stars
Overall, Meemic auto insurance seems to offer superb customer service at a very reasonable rate. Its focus on teachers and educators makes it a top choice for anyone in the education field, both for its car insurance rates and painless claims procedure. However, if you don’t live in Michigan, Georgia, Illinois, or Wisconsin, or if you want MedPay or PIP, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
To start finding quotes from other reputable car insurance companies in your area, use the free tool below.
Our Recommended Car Insurance Providers
Even if Meemic’s car insurance fits the bill for you, it’s always a good idea to consider other options and get quotes from multiple providers. Here are a few other companies that may interest you.
Geico: Best Overall
Geico is one of the leading insurance providers in the U.S. In fact, it’s the second-largest auto insurance provider in terms of market share, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Geico is a top-notch insurance company that should be on everyone’s shortlist. With substantial coverage, good customer satisfaction, and reasonable prices, Geico is a winner in our books.
To learn more, read our full Geico review.
State Farm: Best For Students
State Farm is the largest auto insurance provider in the U.S. by market share. It has close to a century of experience under its belt and has built a strong reputation. It’s also financially sound, earning an A++ financial strength rating from AM Best.
We rate State Farm highly overall and recommend it to anyone looking for reasonably priced car insurance.
To learn more, read our full State Farm insurance review.
FAQ: Meemic Insurance
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.