Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group provides car insurance to millions of customers in California and New England. However, you could have car insurance from the company and not even know it.
That’s because the insurance group is part of the AAA auto club network, which serves over 58 million members throughout the United States and Canada. It goes by different names in different states, but we will cover all of that in this article, as well as the coverage, perks, and customer service that you can expect from Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group.
If you’re looking for the best coverage, we recommend comparing the rates available in your area with the free tool above.
Auto Club Enterprises Review
We rated Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group 4.0 out of 5.0 stars because of its high financial rating, customer service, and first-class perks. If you’re in Southern California or New England, it’s a solid choice for car insurance. Below we outline some of the pros and cons of Auto Club Enterprises’ services.
Auto Club Enterprises Pros and Cons
About Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group
Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group is an affiliate of the American Automobile Association (AAA). Within California, it’s known as the Automobile Club of Southern California. In other words, when you search for AAA car insurance in Southern California, that’s the company that you’ll find.
The organization provides insurance in a few other states, too. For example, AAA Northern New England insurance plans are underwritten by Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group.
One of the best things about having Auto Club insurance is that you also get AAA’s renowned roadside assistance. This includes:
- Vehicle lockout assistance
- Flat-tire changes
- Dead battery service
- Emergency fuel delivery
- Minor mechanical first aid
Auto Club Enterprises also offers other products like life, small business, and homeowners insurance so policyholders can take advantage of discounts for bundling.
Auto Club Highlights
Here are a few more highlights about the company:
- Founded in 1900 and licensed to sell insurance in California since 1912
- Wrote $3.56 billion in premiums in 2020 according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)
- Superior financial ratings from AM Best
- A+ rating from the BBB
Auto Club Enterprises Coverage
Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group offers all standard auto insurance coverages:
- Bodily injury/property damage liability (BI/PD): This coverage protects other drivers in accidents that you cause, and it’s required in California.
- Collision coverage: This option pays for repairs to your vehicle after an accident. You can use it no matter who caused the accident.
- Comprehensive car insurance: This coverage repairs your car after environmental events, and it also covers theft and vandalism.
- Medical payments (MedPay): This insurance covers hospital bills up to a specified amount, regardless of fault.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Similar to MedPay, PIP covers health costs plus funeral expenses and lost wages after an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM): This option protects you if you get hit by a driver with little or no insurance.
All of these coverages are standard, and you can get them from most car insurance companies. Additionally, you can get the following perks from the automotive club:
- AAA membership/roadside assistance: To get car insurance from Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group, you have to be a AAA member. That means that anyone with an Auto Club of Southern California plan also has access to some of the best roadside assistance coverage on the market. If you opt for full coverage from the motor club, you can get better limits for roadside assistance.
- Excess MedPay: This secondary MedPay level can cover health costs from an accident after your health insurance or when your standard MedPay plan has reached its limit.
- Rental coverage: Your auto insurance policy can cover rental car costs up to an amount that you specify.
Besides car insurance, the Auto Club also offers life insurance, personal umbrella, boat, small business, and travel insurance.
Auto Club Enterprises Discounts
You can get a number of discounts (with very specific percentages) from Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group. Every penny counts, right? Available discounts from the Auto Club include:
- Good driver: Save up to 20 percent by having a good driving record
- Verified mileage: Save up to 19.1 percent by supplying regular odometer readings
- Student away: Save up to 46.7 percent when your student driver lives 100+ miles away at school without their car
- Good student: Save up to 14.3 percent by having good grades
- Driver training: Save up to 4.7 percent when you complete an approved course
- Car club: Save up to 5 percent if you’re a member of a qualifying car club
These discounts are helpful because prices for car insurance can vary so much. You and your neighbor could both apply for the same insurance plan but receive totally different prices. That’s because prices are personalized to your individual situation.
Auto insurance rates are based on things like your zip code, your age, recent driving history, the type of car you drive, and other drivers in your family who share your policy. In many states, a poor credit score can mean higher prices as well, but not in California.
We found that AAA insurance prices are better than average, but that can vary depending on your situation.
It’s pretty easy to get a quote from Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group. Use the tool below to compare free quotes from a number of providers available in your state.
Auto Club Enterprises Customer Reviews
The Automobile Club of Southern California has an A- rating and AAA Northern New England has an A+ rating from the BBB. We were also able to find that the Auto Club has a low ratio of complaints. The NAIC shows that the Auto Club had half as many complaints as the industry average in 2019.
However, the Auto Club isn’t complaint-free. Here are a few examples from the company’s BBB reviews page:
“I’ve been a member for 43 years and I have never been treated so poorly as I have been for the past month. All that I wanted to do was to cancel my home and auto insurance… Rather than cancel the policy, it seems that AAA waits until payment is due and because no payment is made, they lapse the policy and charge you a lapsed fee. This is totally unacceptable!”
– Ed via BBB
“I have been with AAA for 19 years. Recently I purchased a new car and was told that it was added to my insurance policy… About a month later, I checked the app and did not see the car there. I went to a AAA branch and was told that the process of adding it was prematurely stopped and I was erroneously informed that I had active insurance…. For 40 days I drove a $70,000 car with no insurance.”
– Mah via BBB
The Automobile Club of Southern California received 851 out of 1,000 on J.D. Power’s 2021 Insurance Shopping StudySM among other midsize insurers. That means many customers had a good experience buying insurance from the company.
The company also scored 897 out of 1,000 in J.D. Power’s 2021 Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM, performing above the industry average. According to the study, it takes an average of 10 days to get your car back after submitting a claim, and that’s a realistic timeframe for most Auto Club members to expect.
Auto Club Enterprises Mobile App
The AAA Auto Club app lets you pay your bill, access your insurance card, and request roadside assistance when you have a policy with Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group. You can also make use of other member club services, including:
- Booking travel reservations
- Using the TripTik travel planner
- Getting retail discounts
- Comparing nearby gas prices
Notably, you can’t file an insurance claim with the Auto Club app. The Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group also doesn’t let customers file claims online. The only way to file a claim is by calling a claims number.
Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group: Conclusion
We rated Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group 4.0 stars out of 5.0 for their great customer services, perks, and stellar reputation. While the Auto Club of Southern California and other AAA clubs provide great service, it’s always a good idea to get at least three quotes when you shop for car insurance. For example, some companies are cheaper for young drivers, while others are cheaper for people with accidents on record.
AAA Auto Club Enterprises Competitors: Best Car Insurance Companies
We’ve researched dozens of car insurance companies and ranked them on things like cost, discounts, availability, customer satisfaction, and financial strength. At the end of the day, we narrowed down a handful of the best car insurance companies to choose from.
Read on to learn about two of our top picks. After you explore your options with Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group, compare quotes from multiple companies all at once using the tool below.
Geico: Best Overall
If you’re in the market for car insurance, you can’t go wrong with a quote from Geico. The company is the second-largest insurer in the U.S., and it offers some of the best rates around. It can also be an affordable option for drivers with a ticket or accident on record.
- Industry reputation: Geico has an A++ financial strength rating from AM Best and has been in business since 1936. It wrote over $33.7 billion in premiums in 2020, according to the NAIC.
- Coverage: Beyond standard coverage, you can get mechanical breakdown insurance, classic car coverage, rental reimbursement, rideshare coverage, and roadside assistance with Geico.
- Discounts: Geico’s discounts include good student, good driver, defensive driver, safety features, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, military, and federal employee discounts.
- Customer satisfaction: The company has an A+ rating from the BBB, and it performed well in the J.D. Power Satisfaction Study.
To learn more, read our full Geico auto insurance review.
Progressive: Best For High-Risk Drivers
Progressive car insurance is hot on the heels of Geico in terms of company size. Many people find affordable rates from Progressive, especially when using the Snapshot® program. This is Progressive’s usage-based insurance app that saves people about $145 on their premiums on average.
- Industry reputation: Progressive has an A+ financial rating from AM Best and has been in business since 1937. It wrote over $33.1 billion in premiums in 2020, according to the NAIC.
- Coverage: Additional coverage options from Progressive include roadside assistance, loan/lease payoff, rental car reimbursement, classic car insurance, custom parts value, and rideshare coverage.
- Discounts: Progressive’s discounts include multi-policy, multi-car, continuous insurance, Snapshot-based discounts, teen driver, good student, distant student, homeowner, sign online, paperless, pay in full, and automatic payment discounts.
- Customer satisfaction: The company is not rated by the BBB, but it has received average ratings in many of J.D. Power’s 2021 studies.
To learn more, read our full Progressive insurance review.
AAA Auto Club Enterprises: FAQ
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.