When you want the best price for coverage, we recommend using a car insurance estimator to compare rates. If you’re not sure which providers to get quotes from, we recommend checking out State Farm and USAA.
State Farm is the largest auto insurer in the U.S. according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). It’s also our choice for the Best Overall auto insurance provider. The company also has an A+ rating from the BBB, which is no small feat. State Farm also carries a superior A++ financial strength rating from AM Best.
Along with standard coverage options, you can also choose from the following add-on policies from State Farm:
- Rental and travel expense coverage: State Farm will pay for a rental car while your vehicle is being repaired (up to your chosen limit). Travel expenses coverage pays up to $500 for meals, lodging, and transportation if your vehicle is damaged in an accident more than 50 miles from home.
- Rideshare insurance: If you drive for Uber or any other transportation service, rideshare insurance is essential to cover the commercial use of your vehicle.
- Roadside assistance: State Farm’s emergency roadside service includes one hour of labor at the site of a breakdown, along with towing to the closest repair shop and spare tire installation. Lockout services, fluid delivery, and battery jump-starts are also covered.
The vast majority of State Farm customers have positive experiences. State Farm insurance reviews often mention agents who make personal connections and offer help quickly.
“I have been with this agent now for more than 20 years. I have never had an issue with anyone at this office and have stayed with them because of the wonderful customer service all of the staff at this location has provided me. I would refer anyone to them in a heartbeat. They have always been good for peace of mind, and I have never worried about them not being there for me or my family.”
– Mickey via BBB
To learn more, read our full State Farm car insurance review.
Not only does USAA maintain an A++ financial rating from AM Best, but it regularly scores at the top of J.D. Power studies including the 2022 U.S. Auto Insurance StudySM, 2022 U.S. Insurance Shopping StudySM, and the 2022 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM. The downside to USAA is that the policies are only available to military personnel, veterans, and their family members.
If you qualify, you can sign up for liability protections, comprehensive and collision insurance, and these add-on coverages:
- Roadside assistance: This additional plan covers emergency towing, gas delivery, flat tire repair, and lockout services.
- Accident forgiveness: In select states, USAA will not raise your rates after one accident with this coverage.
- Rental reimbursement: You can receive money toward a rental vehicle during a covered claim.
- Other financial products: USAA offers more than just car insurance. You can find additional insurance products for your motorcycle, home, boat, pet, life, and more.
Customers can’t say enough good things about USAA. Here’s one example:
“They have always done the right thing by me, even when it wasn’t in USAA’s best interest. I have long said that if you have to be in an accident, pray the other driver has USAA insurance.”
– Matt H. via the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
To learn more, read our full USAA car insurance review.