Compare Car Insurance Rates

Answer a few simple questions to save money on your policy


Vehicle registrations and auto insurance can be tough to navigate, and you may find yourself asking: Can my car be registered in one state and insured in another?

No, your car cannot be registered in one state and insured in another. Generally, your car should be both registered and insured in your state of legal residence. If you have recently moved, you have some time to switch your car insurance policy (but do it ASAP).

This article describes some of the common scenarios for having a car registered and insured in different states and explains how to switch your insurance when the time comes. If you need to make a switch, read our round-up of the best car insurance companies and compare quotes using the tool below.

Compare Car Insurance Rates
Get matched with a top provider and compare instant quotes in just a few clicks

Powered by



Timeframe To Register Your Vehicle In A New State

Your car should not be registered in one state and insured in another. Insuring your car in a state where you don’t reside is fraud. Insurance fraud carries heavy penalties, the least of which is that your claims will be denied.

Your driver’s license, registration, and car insurance need to match. In many states, you can’t even register your car until you’ve provided proof of insurance. Even states that allow you to register a car without proof of insurance require you to provide proof of insurance within a certain timeframe.

If you move to a different state, you’re required to register your vehicle with that state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The timeframe in which you must do so varies by state. If you are visiting a state temporarily, you do not need to register your vehicle. All states allow you to drive an out-of-state car for a certain number of consecutive days (usually around a month).

Here’s how long each state allows drivers to register vehicles after moving.

StateTimeframe to Register Your Vehicle
Alabama30 days
Alaska10 days
Arizona15 days
Arkansas30 days
California20 days
Colorado90 days
Connecticut60 days
Delaware60 days
District of Columbia60 days
Florida10 days
Georgia30 days
Hawaii30 days
Idaho90 days
Illinois30 days
Indiana60 days
Iowa30 days
Kansas90 days
Kentucky15 days
Louisiana30 days
Maine30 days
Maryland60 days
MassachusettsAs soon as you become an MA resident
MichiganAs soon as you become an MI resident
Minnesota60 days
Mississippi30 days
Missouri30 days
Montana60 days
Nebraska30 days
Nevada30 days
New Hampshire60 days
New Jersey60 days
New Mexico60 days
New York30 days
North Carolina60 days
North Dakota90 days
Ohio30 days
Oklahoma30 days
Oregon30 days
Pennsylvania20 days
Rhode Island30 days
South Carolina45 days
Tennessee30 days
Texas30 days
Utah60 days
Vermont60 days
Virginia30 days
Washington30 days
West Virginia30 days
Wisconsin60 days
Wyoming30 days

After you establish residency in a new state, changing your license, registration, and auto insurance should be among your first priorities.

Car Insurance

Changing your insurance policy is usually very easy. Simply contact your auto insurance carrier and explain that you’ve moved.

Many providers let you change your policy online in a matter of minutes. Insurance requirements and discounts vary by state, so you may be able to get lower insurance rates with your new provider.

There are two states where car insurance is not mandatory: Virginia and New Hampshire. These states have their own special rules for insurance, but they do both require you to register your vehicle.

Driver’s License

The process for obtaining a new license is different in each state. Contact your local DMV for details. In some cases, it is simply a matter of paperwork if you already have a license in another state.

In some states, the requirements are more burdensome. You might need to pass a written test. If you do need to take such a test, it is strongly advised that you spend some time studying first.

The test may ask about obscure rules of which you are unaware. For example, do you know how old you need to be to ride in the back of a pickup truck in North Carolina?

Most state DMVs will provide free review materials online or at local offices.

Car Registration

Vehicle registration is also different between states but is usually just a matter of paperwork and a fee. Most states require that you have in-state insurance and an in-state driver’s license before you can register your car and get a license plate, so you should take care of those things.



What If I Split My Time Between States?

Can your car be registered in one state and insured in another if you split your time between states?

You may be a snowbird and spend your winters in one place and summers in another. You may commute between states for work. You may live in Kansas City.

In these cases, having your car registered in one state and insured in another may not be as much of an issue.

If you’re frequently driving in multiple states or have a vacation home you frequently visit, discuss the particulars with your insurer. The best thing you can do is accurately inform your car insurance agent of your situation and work out a personalized solution.

Failing to inform your auto insurance carrier of your multi-state status is a bad idea. It may save money in the short term, but when it comes time to file a claim, the truth will come out.

You don’t want to pay into an insurance policy for years only to have your claim denied when you need it most.



Noteworthy Exceptions When Insuring Your Car In A Different State

In general, your car cannot be registered in one state and insured in another, but there are some exceptions to that rule.

Military Personnel

If you are a member of the military, the rules are a little different for you. Service people declare residency in the state to which they intend to return after deployment. Laws differ in each state, but almost all states make registration exceptions for active-duty military.

As long as your vehicle registration is current in your declared home state, you do not usually need to register in the state in which you are stationed.

Temporary Moves

For temporary moves, you may not have to change your registration, depending on the length of your stay (see table above).

If you are working in your temporary state, be aware that most states consider employment a means of establishing residency and will likely require you to change your car insurance and registration.

College Students

If you are a college student attending school out of state, you will probably need to register any vehicle you bring with you.

Speak with your auto insurance provider directly to find the best solution. If you need to leave your car behind but need to keep it insured, there are options for reducing fees, like low-mileage discounts and parked car insurance.



Our Recommendations For Car Insurance

If you are unhappy with your car insurance provider or simply searching for a cheaper option, make sure that you compare quotes from a variety of different providers. Use our auto insurance quote comparison tool to get started, and be sure to look into our top recommended providers.

USAA: Best For Military

USAA auto insurance is only available to military members and their families. If you are eligible to purchase USAA insurance, we think there is no better choice. Offering a range of discount options, USAA provides affordable full coverage auto insurance.

Read more: USAA auto insurance review

Geico: Best Discount Availability

Geico has become one of the most popular insurance providers because of its nationwide availability, affordable rates, and easy claims process. Geico’s DriveEasy app allows customers to track driving habits and reduce their premiums. This and other quality discounts make Geico one of the lowest-cost providers available. It’s a great place to start when comparing auto insurance quotes.

Read more: Geico auto insurance review.

Compare Car Insurance Rates
Get matched with a top provider and compare instant quotes in just a few clicks

Powered by

Registration And Insurance Between States: FAQ