Let’s begin with the bad news. While the European S3 facelift introduced in April has gained 10 PS (7 kilowatts) for a grand total of 310 PS (228 kW), the U.S.-bound S3 continues to have 292 hp (218 kW) like the pre-facelift model. In addition, an S tronic-equipped S3 now has 295 pound-feet (400 newton-meters) of torque in Europe, but the American model is still stuck at 280 lb-ft (379 Nm).
The A3 Sedan and Cabriolet will be available in U.S. with a 2.0 TFSI rated at 220 hp (164 kW) and 258 lb-ft (349 Nm) delivered to a quattro all-wheel-drive layout through a six-speed S tronic gearbox. Audi says the front-wheel-drive model and the frugal e-tron will continue for the 2017 model year, with details to be released at a later date. It is worth pointing out the 2016MY FWD model has a 1.8-liter unit, but in Europe the engine has been replaced by a more efficient 2.0-liter and most likely the U.S. version will get it as well for 2017MY.
The rest of the changes introduced with the facelift on the old continent have pretty much been carried over on the U.S. model, including the fancy 12.3-inch Audi Virtual Cockpit which will be optional equipment. Regardless of version, all cars get dual-zone automatic climate control, three-spoke multifunction steering wheel, rear view camera, and the Audi pre sense front radar-based system with automatic emergency braking and forward collision warning.
Go for the sedan and Audi USA will throw in a standard panoramic sunroof. If you are not satisfied with the 180-watt, 9-speaker sound system of the sedan, an optional 14-speaker, 705-watt Bang & Olufsen premium setup is available at an additional cost. There’s also an updated MMI touch with support for handwriting, while 4G and Wi-Fi hotspot are also available.
A great number of safety and assistance systems can be added, ranging from high-beam assist and adaptive cruise control to rear cross traffic assist and Audi active lane assist, just to name a few.
In terms of pricing, the quattro-equipped A3 Sedan kicks off at $34,200 for the Premium trim and rises to $37,450 for the Premium Plus model. If you want even more standard equipment, the Prestige can be had from $43,150. The cabriolet version will command a hefty $6,100 premium over the equivalent sedan. As for the range-topping S3 Sedan, it’s only available in Premium Plus ($42,900) and Prestige ($48,400) trims, with all prices excluding the $950 destination & handling fees.
Check out the press release below for full details.
Note: Attached images are showing the Euro-spec Audi A3/S3 facelift range.
Source: Audi USA
Gallery: Audi A3 / S3 facelift
Audi of America’s 2017 A3 model line brings advanced technologies to the premium entry-segment buyer
- The A3 family highlights Audi expertise in design, technology and driving dynamics, found in the brand’s full-size-luxury vehicles, in an affordable premium compact model
- Product enhancements for 2017 models includes Audi virtual cockpit and updated MMI touch hardware; available on all A3 and S3 models
- Expanded suite of driver assistance systems, including standard Audi pre sense front, help drivers navigate the road and traffic with confidence
Audi of America’s refreshed A3 model line continues on its path of offering a strong entry to the Audi premium lineup for 2017. With a redesigned exterior, expanded suite of driver assistance systems and increased technology offerings, the updated A3 family vehicles offer the performance of an Audi in a fun-to-drive, compact package.
The A3 family includes the A3 Sedan, A3 Cabriolet, A3 Sportback e-tron and the high-performance S3 Sedan. New for 2017, the refreshed A3 Sedan, Cabriolet and S3 models now feature more advanced driver assistance systems including standard Audi pre sense front, and available features such as rear cross traffic assist, Audi virtual cockpit, MMI® touch and smartphone integration. Together with improvements in exterior and interior design, the A3 family vehicles continue to raise the bar in the premium entry segment.
A3 Sedan, Cabriolet and S3 Sedan
The A3 Sedan and Cabriolet models continue to come equipped with a 2.0 TFSI® quattro® all-wheel drive turbocharged four-cylinder engine with six-speed S tronic® dual-clutch automatic transmission. Additionally, the model line offers a host of standard premium features such as leather seating surfaces, power sunroof, dual-zone automatic climate control, xenon plus front lighting with LED daytime running headlights and LED taillights.
New for 2017 is a redesigned exterior that includes a new headlight design and updated design cues such as an all-new front fascia with a wider Singleframe® grille, making the A3 appear even sportier and more aggressive on the road.
The A3 Cabriolet offers the excellent everyday driving characteristics of the Sedan, with the pleasure of open-top enjoyment. New for 2017, the Cabriolet includes exterior enhancements such as a new rear bumper and diffuser insert with standard S-line exterior appearance on Premium Plus and Prestige models and interior improvements such as standard six-way power front seats with four-way power lumbar support. The acoustic folding roof can be opened or closed in approximately 18 seconds at speeds up to 31 mph.
The S3 Sedan expands upon the already sporty character of the A3 with additional S model details that underscore the high-performance qualities for which Audi S models are known. Delivering greater performance for everyday use, available Audi magnetic ride sport suspension, available 19” 5-V spoke summer performance tires and a unique S-model exterior kit round out the aggressive position of this sporty model.
The exterior of the A3 model line has been redesigned for a sportier and more aggressive on the road appearance, including a more striking lighting design. The interior design includes greater attention to detail through functional refinements and additional driver-focused technologies.
Exterior Design highlights include:
- All-new front fascia with high-gloss Singleframe ® grille (Platinum Gray with aluminum-optic double blade bars on S3 models)
- New, more aggressive undercut headlight design and new light signatures for the standard Audi Xenon plus headlights or optional full LED headlights
- Standard LED taillights with available dynamic turn signals
- New, lower front bumper styling and rear bumper with diffuser insert design (standard S line® exterior appearance on Premium Plus and Prestige models)
- Parking system plus with front and rear acoustic sensors (standard on Premium Plus and Prestige models)
- Door-mounted standard power-adjustable heated exterior side mirrors
Dual exhaust outlets on 2.0T models or quad exhaust outlets on S3 models
- New wheel designs including standard 17” 5-arm design or available 18” 5-double spoke design wheels with gray polished finish for the Sedan and 18” 5-arm dynamic design wheels, exclusive to the S3
Standard Interior Design Highlights:
- Three-spoke multifunction steering wheel
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Leather seating surfaces and panoramic sunroof (Sedan only)
- 10 speaker including subwoofer, 180 watt Audi sound system on the Sedan (9 speaker 140 watt on the Cabriolet)
- Aluminum interior package includes air vent and door handle surrounds, mirror and window controls
- Micrometallic Silver inlays, available Aluminum Mistral inlays
- New six-way power adjustable front seats including four-way power lumbar adjustment (Cabriolet models only)
New benchmark technologies in the A3, including the Audi virtual cockpit, smartphone integration and the retractable MMI screen, make it easier to enjoy the driving experience and add to the driver-centric experience.
Technology features include:
- Available Audi virtual cockpit features a large, 12.3-inch display that can deliver vibrant color at 60 frames per second with NVIDIA® quad core processing power. The virtual cockpit helps to enhance the infotainment viewing and navigating experience via the large Google Map images supported with 4G LTE (where available).
- Available updated MMI® touch® with handwriting-recognition technology includes a simplified function-key layout with two touch-keys for horizontal menu control logic.
- Audi smartphone interface (available on Premium, standard on Premium Plus and Prestige models) provides Apple CarPlay™ and Google™ Android Auto integration via USB connection, making smartphone interactions easier and more seamless for the driver.
- The available 14 speaker, 705 watt Bang & Olufsen® Sound System creates almost true-to-life surround sound reproduction and visually captivates with illuminated woofers in the front doors. (13 speaker, 625 watts on Cabriolet models)
Audi connect packages together all applications that help connect the A3 with the internet, the owner and the surrounding infrastructure.
The A3 now offers two available options – Connect PRIME and Connect PLUS.
- Connect PRIME enhances the driving experience through navigation services such as Google Earth™, myAudi Destinations, Audi Semi-Dynamic Route Guidance with INRIX XD® Traffic and information services such as fuel prices, online travel info, internet radio and Twitter® alerts, among other features.
- Connect PLUS brings the power of 4G LTE to the vehicle’s built-in Wi-Fi® hotspot with the ability to connect up to eight passenger devices (complimentary 6-month trial subscription). Connect PLUS offers a variety of data plans designed to fit the needs of even the most connected driver.
The A3 model line now incorporates many driver assistance features that are designed to help drivers navigate the road and traffic with confidence.
Driver assistance features:
- Standard rear view camera assists drivers when reversing or backing into tight parking situations.
- Parking system plus (standard on Premium Plus and Prestige models) helps make parking easier with front and rear acoustic parking sensors, when the vehicle is in both reverse and drive, under 6 mph. With parking system plus, the driver’s path is virtually shown on the MMI display to provide an overview of the parking situation around the vehicle, including distance markers for obstacles that are in close proximity.
- High beam assistant (standard on Prestige) automatically switches between high and low beam to produce the right light for a specific situation and help increase visibility for the driver. The high-beam can also be switched off when approaching vehicles are detected.
- Audi active lane assist (standard on Prestige) observes lane markings and can provide gentle steering wheel warning vibrations if it is determined that the vehicle is approaching the edge of the lane without signaling at speeds above 40 mph.
- Standard Audi pre sense front is a radar-based system which provides forward collision warning and automatic emergency braking through visual and acoustic alerts, prepping the brake system for a quicker response, and if necessary, can initiate partial braking.
- In the case of an impending collision, standard Audi pre sense® basic can prepare the vehicle for impact. This process includes beginning to close the side windows and panoramic sunroof, and pretensioning the front safety belts.
- Adaptive cruise control with stop & go (standard on Prestige) helps maintain a set distance from the vehicle in front, including braking and accelerating as needed.
- Audi side assist (available on Premium Plus and standard with Prestige trim) provides blind spot monitoring via LED indicators on the exterior mirror housings at speeds above 9 mph.
- Rear cross traffic assist (as part of Audi side assist) supports the driver when reversing out of a perpendicular parking space. Indicator arrows in the MMI® display can inform the driver of approaching vehicles, and in critical situations, a warning tone and brake jolt can be applied, prompting the driver to stop the vehicle.
Powertrain and Performance
The A3 Sedan and Cabriolet models continue to come equipped with a 2.0 TFSI® turbocharged four-cylinder engine with six-speed S tronic® dual-clutch automatic transmission and quattro® all-wheel drive, producing 220 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque.
The S3 sedan continues with the powerful 2.0 TFSI engine with quattro® all-wheel drive producing an impressive 292 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque and achieving a speed of 0-60 mph in 4.7 seconds. The S3 also offers an available Audi magnetic ride sport suspension, which can be adjusted using the Audi drive select system.
|A3 Sedan / Cabriolet||2.0 TFSI quattro AWD||Six-speed S tronic||220 hp @ 4,500-6,200 rpm||258 lb-ft @ 1,600-4,400 rpm|
|S3 Sedan||2.0 TFSI quattro AWD||Six-speed S tronic||292 hp @ 5,400-6,200 rpm||280 lb-ft @ 1,900-5,300 rpm|
Additional Model Changes
The A3 FWD and e-tron models will continue to be offered and receive product updates for the 2017 model year to be announced at a later date.
Model year 2017 A3 model line starting manufacturer suggested retail prices:
|A3 Sedan quattro||$34,200||$37,450||$43,150|
*Prices above exclude destination charge ($950), taxes, title, options, and dealer charges. Dealer sets actual price.