Jaguar D-Type Works 'Long Nose'
Chassis XKD 604 is the first of just six Works long-nose examples built for the 1956 season, the final year of Jaguar’s D-Type racing effort. Throughout 1955, the Jaguar experimental department had been developing an independent, de Dion rear suspension, along with a fuel injection system, and decided to incorporate these new innovations into the first car built for the 1956 Jaguar Works team.
Following testing by Jaguar’s famed test engineer, Norman Dewis, XKD 604’s first competitive outing came at the Daily Express Silverstone event in May 1956; with Desmond Titterington behind the wheel, the featured Jaguar competed alongside two other team cars. While the length of the Silverstone race did not warrant using the still novel Lucas mechanical fuel injection over the tried and true Weber carbs, XKD 604 was the only D-Type raced with an independent rear axle. At season’s end, the team cars were retired and XKD 604 was acquired by the renowned Scottish racing team, Ecurie Ecosse, where it remained in storage until the team closed its doors in 1971. The D-Type was eventually obtained by Scotsman Jim Tester in the 1970s, and later passed onto Michael Fisher of Britain, who commissioned its restoration by marque experts to its original fuel-injected specification in 1986. It was imported into the U.S. in 1992 and acquired by the current owner in 2004.
In recent years, the D-Type has been displayed and driven at numerous events, including the 2011 Monterey Motorsports Reunion, where it was part of the Jaguar Heritage Display, as well as at the 2012 Dana Point Concours d’Elegance, where it received the Featured Marque Award. XKD 604 comes to auction as a fantastic example of a very rare breed, ready to return to the track.
Source: RM Sotheby's press