Aston Martin DB4 Series II
The replacement for the DB Mark III, the DB4, was launched in 1958, and it was a very different creature indeed. Carrozzeria Touring, of Milan, Italy, had designed a clean, elegant, and understated gentleman’s GT and licensed to Aston Martin their patented superleggera tube body framing system, all covered by lightweight aluminum panels. The DB4 was the first model built at Aston’s then-new Newport Pagnell factory, and its styling influenced the company’s products for more than a decade to come. With four-wheel disc brakes, rack-and-pinion steering, and an aluminum twin-cam 240 horsepower engine capable of pushing the lithe coupe to a top speed of 140 mph, the DB4 quickly became the standard bearer for luxury high performance in the UK, and it established a brilliant reputation for the marque around the world.
With numerous running changes during its five-year model run, the AMOC Register has separated DB4s into five series, which roughly correspond to many differences in the configuration. The second series cars are today respected as the first to be modified to solve certain problems with early production, while representing the last with the attractive, one-piece “cathedral” tail lamps, the tall bonnet scoop, and the original grille design.
240 hp, 3.7-liter dual overhead cam inline six-cylinder engine with twin SU carburetors, four-speed manual transmission, rack-and-pinion steering, independent front suspension with upper and lower control arms and coil springs, rear live axle with Watt linkage, trailing arms and coil springs, and four-wheel disc brakes. Wheelbase: 98 in.
Part of the RM Auctions event in London in October, 2012 and Arizona in January, 2013.
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Simon Clay and Shane Monopoli