Lancia Aurelia B24 Spider America
Lancia’s first post-war car, the revolutionary Aurelia, appeared in 1950. The combination of the first production V-6 engine and the balance of the transaxle gearbox and inboard rear brakes were revelations in post-war Europe. The initial B10 sedan was quickly followed by a coupé, the B20, built on a shortened platform. Although the Aurelia was built with a semi-unitary body, a platform for coach builders (the B50) was also offered, on which Pinin Farina built a four-seat cabriolet. However, it was felt that a proper open two-seater sport model was required, especially for the all-important U.S. market.
The answer was the B24 Spider America, launched in 1954. Built on a wheelbase shortened a further 8.3? (210 mm) from the coupé, Pinin Farina’s shapely roadster featured a dogleg wraparound windshield and side curtains, with no external handles for doors or the boot to interrupt the almost liquid lines. As Lancia had established itself in the early ‘50s as a force in international competition, it is not surprising that hints of the marque’s D24 racing car could be seen in the look of the new sport car. After only 240 of the Spider Americas were built, a heavily revised model, the B24 convertible, was introduced in 1956. With an eye towards creature comfort rather than sportiness, the convertible added weight with roll-up windows, higher doors, more interior furnishings and a more upright windshield. At once, the Spider America was destined to be set apart.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in May of 2012 at the Grimaldi Forum, Monaco.
118 bhp, 2,451 cc V-6 engine with dual Weber carburettors, four-speed manual transmission, independent sliding pillar front, semi-trailing arm and coil spring rear suspension, and four wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 2,450 mm (104.7")
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Tom Wood