Maserati 250F by Cameron Millar
The Maserati 250F is unique among Grand Prix cars, as it has longevity that has spanned seven years of racing and claimed association with a lengthy list of racing greats, including Juan Manuel Fangio, Stirling Moss, Alberto Ascari, Peter Collins, Mike Hawthorn and many more. The 250F was crucially important in carrying Juan Manuel Fangio to two of his five World Championship-winning seasons, in 1954 and 1957.
With Fangio driving, Maserati won the first two championship races of the new 2.5-litre formula in 1954. The factory then resumed its program of selling cars to privateers and offering them full support. An equally impressive list of customers began to take shape. Prince Bira, Harry Schell, Roy Salvadori, Toulo de Graffenried and others took delivery and began winning at both national and international levels.
The 250F was awarded legendary status following its success on the circuit and was considered to be one of the greatest and most beautiful single seater Grand Prix racing cars to have ever been built, with its fine handling and powerful six cylinder engine; a competitive car, even today in historic Grand Prix car events. In addition, the pure aerodynamic shape is one of the finest designs to have been constructed on a racing car chassis, and it remains a ‘50s icon that is highly desirable among collectors.
Squadron leader Cameron Millar was an avid fan of the model and a highly competent engineer who acquired his first Maserati 250F in 1964. This was the start of his life-long love affair that would later result in a small batch of exact replica’s hand built by him, which are widely recognized as the nearest recreation of the original 250F that money could buy.
Millar became a recognized authority on the 250F and is understood to have purchased all the remaining cars and parts from the Scuderia Centro Sud, who had campaigned the cars in period. In addition, he was able to acquire the chassis jigs from the factory that put him in pole position for crafting a second series of cars made as per the original factory production.
These Cameron Millar cars were so exacting in their detail that the FIA granted them eligibility to race alongside the original cars and contemporary machines in competitive historic racing events. In fact, the CM 250Fs attracted huge interest from prominent members of the racing world, and even the great Juan Manuel Fangio himself acquired chassis CM3 to display at his museum in Argentina.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in May of 2012 at the Grimaldi Forum, Monaco.
270 bhp at 8,000 rpm, 2,491 cc DOHC six-cylinder, 5-speed manual gearbox, independent front suspension with coil springs, De Dion rear axle with transverse leaf spring, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 2,880 mm (113”)
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright James Mann