Cadillac Opera Coupe
By the end of 1923, Cadillac had produced more than 160,000 V8-engined automobiles, and newly-promoted chief engineer Ernest Seaholm now directed the first major redesign of this groundbreaking engine. While V8 engines were commonly designed as two four-cylinder engines on a common “flat” crankshaft, this arrangement was subject to imbalances that caused roughness. For 1924, Cadillac introduced a balanced, two-plane crankshaft, counterweighted with rod journals at 90 degrees to one another, the way all V8s are made today. The difference was dramatic, with the new engine remarkably smooth and powerful. Other improvements included four-wheel brakes and “VV” (Ventilation and Vision) windshields for more comfort and driving ease. Closed models now provided a lower seating position and the roomier Opera Coupe replaced the four-passenger Victoria close-coupled coupe.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August 2009 at the Shotwell Gustafson Pavilion at Meadow Brook Hall, Rochester, Michigan.
83 bhp, 314.5 cu. in. L-head V8 engine, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, live rear axle with platform leaf spring suspension, and four-wheel mechanical brakes. Wheelbase: 132"
Source: RM Auctions