Lincoln KA Convertible Roadster
Even though Henry Leland, who founded Cadillac in 1902, later formed Lincoln, a sharp post-WWI economic recession and other issues nearly ended the marque shortly after the introduction of its first automobile. Saved from receivership by Henry Ford in 1922 and capably led by his son Edsel Ford, Lincoln quickly rose to prominence in the American luxury car market of the 1920s. The Model K, which finally replaced Leland’s Model L in 1931, was the first new Lincoln model under Ford ownership, and its fresh styling boosted sales. In 1932, the Lincoln model range was expanded with the V-8-powered KA riding a 136-inch wheelbase and the V-12-powered KB on a 145-inch wheelbase.
In 1933 a V-12 engine of 382 cubic inches was introduced to the KA, creating a more affordable alternative to the KB. The KA V-12, while based upon the KB’s design, was both simpler and less expensive to produce. Expanded for 1934 to 414 cubic inches, the new design became Lincoln’s sole powerplant until 1936, and it is considered by marque experts to be the company’s finest V-12 engine design ever. While Lincoln styling for 1934 differed little from the previous year, it was nonetheless refined with body-color radiator shells, and cooling shutters replaced the earlier louvered hood treatment. Smaller headlamps provided further stylistic refinement. Today, the V-12 Lincolns of 1932-1934 remain highly prized for their style, luxury, quality, performance and sheer rarity.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in March of 2012 at the Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida.
150 bhp, 414 cu. in. V-12 engine, two-barrel carburetor, three-speed sliding gear manual transmission, solid front axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, full-floating rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 136"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Darin Schnabel