Lincoln Model K Convertible Victoria
From 1933, Brunn supplied to Lincoln a series of elegant Convertible Victorias with blind rear quarters. The style had been a staple of Waterhouse, the Webster, Massachusetts coachbuilder, but when Waterhouse foundered in 1932, Edsel Ford lobbied to keep the body type alive. The result was acquisition of the Waterhouse design rights by Brunn and continuation of the style through 1937. One can easily see the effect this might have had on the genesis of Edsel’s Lincoln Continental.
Late in 1937, Brunn received an order for a special Convertible Victoria for Walter E. Weiss, president of the Pittsburgh-based Sterling Drug chain. To be built on the 145-inch chassis, it featured a vee windshield and retractable rear quarter glass, the first instance of the chrome-edged convertible quarter windows that eventually became the industry standard. In 1937, no manufacturers offered convertible coupes with rear quarter windows except Hudson, and theirs were really side curtains that were fastened to the canvas top and went down with it.
Other innovations on the Weiss Convertible Victoria were rear fender skirts and teardrop chrome-edged step plates in place of running boards. A lighted Lalique glass mascot replaced the customary Lincoln greyhound. The “car was certainly one of a kind,” wrote Hermann Brunn, the younger, 40 years later. However, he and his father liked some of its features, and the windows appeared on the flat-windshield, short-wheelbase style 408 Convertible Victoria cataloged for the 1938 model year. Just eight were built.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2011 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
150 bhp, 414 cu. in. L-head V-12 engine, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle and live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel power-assisted mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 136"
Source: RM Auctions