Delage DR70 Tourer
Fascinated by France’s burgeoning automobile industry, the world’s first, Louis Delage moved to Paris as a young man and established himself as a consulting engineer. After a stint at Peugeot he founded Delage & Cie. at Levallois, a northwestern suburb of Paris. The first two prototype Delage automobiles were single-cylinder cars with de Dion engines.
Delage’s first six-cylinder car came in 1912, with a 2.5-liter engine designed by engineer Arthur-Léon Michelat and built in-house. In 1925, Maurice Gaultier was made chief engineer at Delage. Employed there before the war as production manager, he was a graduate of École des Arts et Métier at Lille and had a profound influence on everything that left the works thereafter. His first all-new design was the DR of 1927. It used an L-head six-cylinder engine with a Ricardo-type cylinder head, which came in two displacements, 2,170 and 2,516 cc. The DR proved very reliable and became Delage’s second-best seller ever.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in March of 2012 at the Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida.
45 bhp, 2,517 cc L-head inline six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, solid front axle and live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 128.3"
Source: RM Auctions