Mercedes-Benz 290 Cabriolet D
Daimler and Benz, competitors from almost the dawn of motoring, merged to form Daimler-Benz in June 1926. Their combined workforce was huge and numbered perhaps 20,000, yet combined production was barely 2,000 cars. The automobile, particularly in post-WWI Germany, which labored under the onerous restrictions of the Versailles Treaty, was still considered a luxury product. To this limited market, Daimler-Benz appealed with an offering of mid-range vehicles built in Mannheim and the essentially custom-built machines that were built in Untertürkheim near Stuttgart.
In 1933, a new Mercedes-Benz series, internally coded W 18, entered production and replaced the Type 350/370 Mannheim series. The new cars, more commonly known as the Type 290, heralded a number of advanced engineering features, and among them, they included hydraulic brakes, a transverse leaf-spring/coil-spring front suspension, a coil-sprung floating rear axle, and a 60-hp, 2,867 cc side-valve inline six-cylinder engine. In addition to the bare chassis for custom coachbuilders, six factory-built body styles and a Kuebelwagen (military) variant were available. They included a four-door touring car, a four-door sedan and four two-door convertibles or cabriolets (A, B, C, D) with seating for three or four.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August of 2011 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California.
60 hp, 2,867 cc side-valve inline six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual gearbox, leaf and coil-sprung front suspension, floating rear axle with coil springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 102"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Patrick Roberts