Siata 208S Spyder
Societá Italiana Auto Trasformazioni Accessori (SIATA) created a marvelous assortment of machinery in its 45-year history under the guidance of the Ambrosini family. Founded by Giorgio Ambrosini in 1926, Siata specialized in performance modifications for Fiats, employing the intuitive skills of Ambrosini and his Turinese craftsmen to create the overhead-valve conversions, multi-speed gearboxes, superchargers and multi-carb intakes that competitive Italians wanted for their diminutive Fiats. The Italian auto giant with few exceptions conspicuously ignored the high performance market as the Agnellis progressively concentrated their volume production empire around sensible and reliable small cars and left the specialized high performance projects to ingenious independents like the Ambrosinis.
The first actual Siata car, the Amica, was built in 1939. After WWII, Siata produced a very successful auxiliary bicycle motor and returned to producing performance accessories. In 1949, it released the new Amica, followed by the Diana and various competition cars.
The oversquare, unusual 70-degree 8V engine featured an aluminum block and heads with wedge-shaped combustion chambers. Induction was through a pair of dual-throat, downdraft Weber carburetors. With its high-revving short-stroke design and 8.5:1 compression ratio, prodigious power was channeled through a four-speed manual gearbox.
Est. 132 bhp @ 6,300 rpm, four-speed manual transmission. Steel tube frame and four-wheel independent suspension all-round by unequal length arms and coil springs in concert with shock absorbers on all four corners. Large aluminum hydraulic drum brakes were used. Top speed c. 120 mph with aluminum Bertone Spyder body. Wheelbase: 106"
Source: RM Auctions