Rolls-Royce Phantom II Sport Saloon
This extraordinarily rakish Phantom II Sport Saloon was acquired by Mr. Ruger in the early-2000s. It was previously owned by Mr. Paul Zimmer circa 1948–52 and later went to enthusiast Jack Frost, of Detroit, who owned it for many years and won a class award at an RROC meet in 1976. It was then in the Atwell Collection in Texas before joining the Ruger Collection. As-acquired, it had modernized front fenders with side-mounted spare tires. Mr. Ruger commissioned John Abrahamson, of Enfield Auto Restorations, to return the fenders to their prewar specification, which eliminated the spares. The restoration also involved the development of a rear spare tire mount in accordance with Rolls-Royce practice of the era, a concours quality repaint, complete re-upholstery of the interior, and a new top of genuine coach leather. Additionally, the slightly-enhanced turn signals, which had been previously installed, were retained.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in July of 2012 at The Inn at St. John's, Plymouth, Michigan.
40/50 hp, 7,668 cc overhead valve, straight six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, fully floating hypoid bevel axle, semi-elliptic front and rear suspension, and four-wheel servo-assisted drum brakes. Wheelbase: 150"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel