Nash Special Six Rumble Seat Coupe
When Charles Nash conceived the Nash car for 1918, Nash Motors produced a single line of six-cylinder automobiles of moderate price. Less expensive than rival Hudson, Nash cars sold for prices comparable to Oldsmobile. A lower-cost four-cylinder model was added in 1921. In 1925, the four was succeeded by a smaller six called the “Special;” all Nashes had overhead valves.
The year of 1926 brought new engines for both the top-line Advanced Six and the mid-priced Special Six. The Special’s engine was of the same displacement as the year before, but it now had seven main bearings, a robust configuration usually reserved for large, expensive cars. For 1927, it was given a larger bore of 224.0 cubic inches and 52 bhp.
Four-wheel brakes were still novel, and Nash was proud of theirs. “The Worlds’ Finest 4-Wheel Brakes” read the headlines – unusually the front brakes were internal-expanding, the rears external-contracting. The rationale was that the two types of brakes compensated for one another, resulting in “absolute safety.”
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2011 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania
52 bhp, 224.0 cu. in. inline OHV six-cylinder engine, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle and live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 112.75"
Source: RM Auctions