Pierce-Arrow Model 54 Club Brougham
The venerable Pierce-Arrow marque had a long and impressive history prior to 1932, having manufactured some of the greatest motor cars of the Brass and Classic Eras. From its earliest days with conveyances like the Great-Arrow, as well as the 38, the 48, and the mighty 66, Pierce-Arrow was the choice of US presidents and America’s elite and was truly one of the world’s premier motor cars. Throughout the 1920s, the marque continued at the pinnacle of the American fine car market, along with Peerless and Packard, representing one of the legendary “Three Ps.”
The controversial merger of 1928 with Studebaker, driven by Pierce-Arrow’s acute need for cash to fund the development of new models, also provided the resources for a new and highly acclaimed eight-cylinder engine in 1929, finally breaking the marque’s long-standing reliance on six-cylinder power. However, as the infamous stock market crash and Great Depression loomed, Pierce-Arrow resolutely continued to focus on its luxury-car roots and its upscale, discerning clientele more than ever before.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in July of 2012 at The Inn at St. John's, Plymouth, Michigan.
125 hp, L-head inline eight-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, front and rear semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 137"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel