Mercury Two-Door Club Convertible
Introduced in 1939, Mercury, named after the Roman god, was the culmination of Edsel Ford’s idea to market a car to compete with medium-priced cars like Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Dodge, and Nash. Utilizing existing Ford components, Edsel set about creating the new car. Styling was a combination of the Ford Deluxe and the Lincoln Zephyr, while its wheelbase was longer than the Ford but shorter than the Lincoln. Its level of luxury and price strode middle ground, too. The car was an immediate sales success, with over 70,000 units sold during the first year. Equipped with Ford’s ubiquitous flathead V-8, performance was quite good as well.
Little was changed for Mercury’s second season in 1940, since the car was such a success. Front end styling was freshened as the stainless steel headlamp bezels included new round sealed beam headlamps. They were adapted to the existing fender pockets along with the parking lights, courtesy of Ford stylist Willys Wagner. Convertible coupes were essentially carry-overs, though a vacuum-top was now standard. Mercury production was a fraction of that of its sister Ford, with just 9,741 convertibles built for 1940.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in July of 2012 at The Inn at St. John's, Plymouth, Michigan.
95 hp, 239.4 cu. in. flathead V-8 engine, three-speed sliding gear transmission, ¾-floating rear axle suspension, and Lockheed four-wheel hydraulic brakes. Wheelbase: 116"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright John Foss