Packard Twelve Coupe Roadster
The Packard Twelve of the 1930s was the company’s second series of V12 engines. The first, called the Twin Six, entered production in 1916 and was built in quantities of 4,000 or so annually until the post-WWI depression reduced demand to uneconomical levels. Production of the Twin Six ended in 1923. Escalating multi-cylinder offerings from Cadillac, Lincoln and other luxury marques again induced Packard to introduce a V12 in 1932. Called the Twin Six at introduction, its nomenclature was simplified in 1933 to Twelve. Packard’s Twelves were exclusive and expensive motor cars whether fitted with catalog or custom bodies. Although it shared many chassis features with the Super Eight, each Twelve was essentially custom-built and their engines were refined, powerful and smooth-running. A ¼-inch longer stroke in 1935 brought displacement to 473 cubic inches. Along with aluminum cylinder heads this increased the Twelve’s power to an advertised 175 horsepower. The Twelves, even with elaborate and heavy coachwork, were strong performers, suggesting more than a little conservatism on Packard’s part in describing the engine’s power.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in March of 2009 at the The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida and in July of 2011 at The Inn at St. John's, Plymouth, Michigan.
175bhp, 473 cu. in. V12 engine, three-speed manual transmission, single-plate clutch, independent front suspension, rear longitudinal leaf springs, four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 139".
Source: RM Auctions