Mercedes-Benz 22/50 PS Town Car
Mercedes cars were of front-engine, chain drive design, a concept adopted at the insistence of Jellinek, and powerful, with engines of six to nine liters giving 40 to 60 Pferdestärke (German horsepower, literally “horse strength,” abbreviated PS), although smaller 1,760 cc, 8PS cars were available. In 1905, the 15/20PS became the first Mercedes to use shaft drive, an architecture that gained wider use across the range, although the large sporting cars continued to use chains.
Mercedes cars were equally suitable for the boulevard. By 1908, several European heads of state had adopted them for official travel. These included Kaiser Wilhelm II and King Leopold of Belgium. England’s Edward VII used British Daimlers at home, but kept a Mercedes for his Continental journeys.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in March of 2009 at the The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida and in October of 2009 at the Battersea Evolution, London.
50hp, 5,720 cc T-head four-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, solid front axle and live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, two-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 135".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel