Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost Pall Mall Tourer
The Silver Ghost was the origin of Rolls-Royce's claim of making the "Best car in the world" – a phrase coined not by themselves, but by the prestigious publication Autocar in 1907.
Originally named the "40/50 h.p." the chassis was originally produced at Royce's Manchester works, before moving to Derby in July 1908 and also, between 1921 and 1926, in Springfield, Massachusetts. Chassis no. 60551, registered AX 201, was the car that was originally given the name "Silver Ghost."
The car was named the "Silver Ghost" to emphasize its ghost-like quietness, and a plaque bearing this name adorned the bulkhead. The reputation of the 40/50, and Rolls-Royce, was established.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August of 2011 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California.
40/50 hp, 7,428 cc L-head inline six-cylinder engine, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs and live rear axle with cantilever leaf springs, and four-wheel mechanical brakes. Wheelbase: 143.5".
Source: RM Auctions; Wikipedia, 2011
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel