AC Aceca Bristol Coupe
The AC motor car enjoyed a remarkable transformation from its cyclecar days to the Ace and Aceca sports cars of the 1950s. In 1913, alongside the Sociable three-wheeler there appeared a new design, a four-wheeled light car with French Fivet engine. Few were built, however, as engine supplies became difficult. For 1914, it was joined by a smaller four-wheeler, using the Sociable’s engine in the front.
After the Great War, AC turned to British Anzani for engines, building a 10 hp four-cylinder car. AC co-founder John Weller, however, was working on a new overhead-cam six, put into production in 1922. Of 1,991 cc displacement, it would remain in the catalogue until 1963. During this time, its output grew from 40 bhp to 103. Anzani-engined fours, however, continued in production until 1928.
A lack of modernisation, unfortunately, left the company, now called A.C. Cars, Ltd., in precarious straits. In 1930, the firm went into liquidation. It was saved by William and Charles Hurlock, who had bought the Thames Ditton premises to serve their haulage business. Servicing of cars carried on and manufacture recommenced, using chassis from Standard. There followed a line of attractive, low-slung cars built until the outbreak of World War II.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2009 at the Battersea Evolution, London.
125 bhp, 1,971 cc overhead valve six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual gearbox, independent front and rear suspension with transverse semi-elliptic leaf springs, four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 90".
Source: RM Auctions