MG MGA Mark II 1600 Roadster
The MGA Mark II was the last of the MGA series. Assembly started April of 1961 and ceased June of 1962 with a total production of 8,719 units in both roadster and fixed head coupe configuration. Visually, the Mk II was distinguishable from previous MGA models by various body detail changes. The vertical bars in the front grille assembly were recessed at the bottom, adding much depth to the grille, and a new taillight cluster, borrowed from the Mini, was fitted to comply with new lighting regulations. However, the most noteworthy change was the installation of BMC's 1,622 cc inline four-cylinder engine.
This cast in block engine offered an increase in horsepower of 13 percent over previous MGA models, as well as a 12 percent gain in torque. All this was achieved by a displacement increase of only 34 cubic centimeters.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August of 2010 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California.
93 bhp, 1,622 cc overhead valve inline four-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, front-wheel disc brakes and rear-wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 85"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Mollie G McClure