Lancia Aurelia B53 Coupe
Lancia was a display car created for the 1953 Torino Motor Show. It is a one-off custom-bodied car matched to an already rare chassis of which fewer than 90 were produced.
Its handsome style comes from the hands of Giovanni Michelotti. The prolific Michelotti worked for a number of design houses in addition to Allemano, most notably Vignale. Just this spring, Michelotti was honoured by his induction into the European Automotive Hall of Fame.
Michelotti's design was brought to life by the panel beaters and craftsmen of Carrozzeria Allemano in Turin. Allemano also fabricated (and sometimes designed) bodies for Aston Martin, Ferrari, Fiat and Maserati. The bonnet and doors are made from aluminium, still an exotic metal in the 1950s. Its use accounted for a considerable reduction in weight and thereby improved performance of the two-litre V6 engine.
The elegant two-door, four-place coupé he created exudes conservative elegance. It also, however, shows expected Italian flair in the twin air intakes flanking the grille and in the striking black over blue colour scheme. The profile ends with dramatically sloping rear wings that help give the design a sporting flavor.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2009 at the Battersea Evolution, London and in March of 2011 at the Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida.
80 bhp, 1,991 cc overhead-valve six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with coil springs, four-wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 104.3".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Pieter Kamp