Packard Super Eight 180 Convertible Coupe
With the demise of Packard’s Twelve in 1939, the 180 became the company’s replacement for their top-of-the-line car. Despite the fact that junior cars had saved the company, the senior cars — including the 180 — still set the standard both within the Packard organization and for its competitors. Essentially identical in specification to the 160, the 180 was reserved for Packard’s top-of-the-line customs and semi-customs.
Making a debut at the New York Auto show in October 1940, the 1941 180 models, and the companion 160 series, featured revised looks in front, with headlights integrated into the fenders for the first time. On the inside, interior trim was on the cutting edge of technology; it featured a dash fascia molded almost entirely in plastic, well ahead of many of Packard’s competitors and undoubtedly an anomaly for the period. In several ways, 1941 marked the curtain call for Packard’s senior cars. The company sold its tooling off to the Russians after the war, which left it with only the mid-priced Clipper to offer customers during the postwar boom, when car manufacturers could do little else but offer prewar automobiles.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in March of 2010 at the Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida.
160 hp, 356 cu. in. L head inline eight-cylinder engine, with three-speed transmission, coil spring independent front wheel suspension, longitudinal semi-elliptic leaf springs and live rear axle, and four-wheel hydraulic brakes. Wheelbase: 127"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel