Studebaker Commander Convertible
Studebaker, among the world’s oldest automakers, made dramatic gains after World War II. Boasting “First by Far with a Postwar Car,” the company brought out the dramatic Starlight coupe in 1947, so sleek that passers-by debated which way the car was traveling. Sales surged steadily upward, to levels not seen before the war. The make achieved eighth place in the industry for 1949, before settling into a steady ninth as other automakers’ production caught up with demand.
Alone among independent manufacturers, Studebaker introduced its own automatic transmission, developed in conjunction with Borg Warner, in 1950, the year the cars were face-lifted with the aircraft-inspired “bullet nose” design. For 1951, a V8 engine was introduced, a sturdy overhead valve design that would remain in production for more than a decade.
For Studebaker Corporation’s 1952 centennial – they had started building wagons in 1852 – the cars were face-lifted again, replacing the bullet theme with a sloping hood and low grille. For 1953, they were replaced by all-new Raymond Loewy designs.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in March of 2010 at the Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida.
120 bhp, 232.6 cu. in. overhead valve V8 engine, three-speed automatic transmission, coil spring independent front suspension, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 115"
Soruce: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel