Chevrolet Camaro SSX Track Car Concept
Ever since the new Chevrolet Camaro’s launch last year, owners have explored the performance potential of the car. The Camaro SSX Track Car is a concept for transforming a street Camaro SS into a closed-course track car, and a showcase for new performance parts.
“The SSX concept explores taking Camaro’s excellent street performance and extending it into a road course context,” said Chris Perry, vice president, Chevrolet marketing. “The car expresses Camaro performance while also signaling Chevrolet’s new commitment to developing and offering a portfolio of performance parts for racing enthusiasts.”
The Camaro SSX Track Car has a purposeful aesthetic, with exterior appointments and suspension modifications aimed at road course performance. They include carbon fiber aero parts – front splitter and adjustable rear wing – lightweight carbon fiber body panels, revised lower grille and unique brake cooling ducts. The carbon body panels significantly lower the Camaro’s weight, as does the elimination of much of the production car’s sound-deadening material, carpeting and rear seat.
Low-gloss Icy White Metallic exterior paint is contrasted with the carbon aero parts, door graphics/racing number and red details; and this competition-ready Camaro rolls on dedicated track wheels and tires. This concept was constructed with input from Pratt and Miller, Chevrolet partner in Corvette Racing, and Riley Technologies using parts proven in the Grand Am racing series.
• Icy White Metallic color with red accents and door graphics
• Carbon fiber hood, fenders, door and deck lid
• Exposed carbon fiber front splitter, rockers and adjustable rear wing
• Unique lower grille and brake ducts
• Carpeting, sound deadener and rear seat deleted
• Ace suede-covered racing steering wheel and shifter
• SCCA-approved roll cage and window net
• Racing driver’s seat with five-point harness
• Racing pedals
• Fire suppression system
• Fuel cell
• Video camera system mounted on the roll cage
• LS3 6.2L V-8 enhanced with Chevrolet Performance Parts’ camshaft, cylinder heads and dry-sump oiling system
• Production six-speed manual transmission with Corvette ZR1 twin-disc clutch
• Low-restriction air induction and exhaust systems
• Four-wheel disc racing brake system with six-piston front/four-piston rear calipers and drilled and slotted rotors
• Modified production suspension with Pfadt licensed components
• 20-inch racing wheels and tires
Source: Chevrolet press