Established by Alfieri and Ettore Maserati in a small workshop in Bologna, the first Maserati automobile appeared in 1926 and competed successfully in the Targa Florio the same year. Operating as a specialist constructor of racing cars, Maserati continued in the hands of the remaining brothers, Ettore, Bindo and Ernesto after Alfieri’s death in 1932 and until 1937 when they sold their enterprise to industrialist Adolfo Orsi.
The evolution of their designs continued and realized itself in street cars that exuded the company’s racing pedigree. Giorgio Giugiaro penned the striking lines for Maserati’s Ghibli, which made its debut at the Turin Auto Show in 1966. Sporting a quad-cam V8 engine under the hood, which was a slight variation on Maserati’s proven racing powerplant, the car was very well received by the press and the public.
In retrospect, the launch of the Ghibli was the high watermark for Maserati. The company was riding the wave of success with its string of capable supercars such as the 3500GT, 5000GT and the Quattroporte, all of which managed to solidify a mystique that surrounded the Italian car manufacturer. For the collector, the Ghibli is a highly affordable, usable and attractive example of some of Italy’s best work in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August of 2010 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California.
335 bhp, 4,719 cc V8, five-speed manual transmission, four-wheel disc brakes, independent front suspension, live rear axle, four-wheel disc brakes. Wheelbase: 100.4".
Source: RM Auctions