Ford Panel Delivery
In keeping with Ford Motor Company tradition, its commercial vehicles benefited from the stylistic advancements displayed by the passenger-car line. However, changing for the sake of change alone was not one of Henry Ford’s weaknesses, and there were many instances where 1930s Fords lagged behind the times as the result of Henry’s infamous resistance to change.
Fortuitously, styling and design were areas where Henry simply turned a blind eye. He rarely visited the design department and only grudgingly gave ground on design-related specification changes. Henry insisted upon retaining the “buggy spring” transverse leaf spring chassis design long after it was thoroughly outmoded and abandoned by his competitors. However, perhaps most famously, Henry loved mechanical brakes, clinging to “The safety of steel from toe to wheel” for years after the safety, reliability and better performance of hydraulic brakes had already been amply proven.
Edsel had brought up hydraulic brakes on many occasions, sparking one of Henry’s most infamous explosions. That finally ended in 1939, when Ford adopted Lockheed hydraulic brakes across the full line of cars and trucks, a welcome and long overdue recognition of their superiority and safety. The flathead V8 also enjoyed an important change in 1939, acquiring three additional cylinder head hold-down studs for better sealing.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
85 bhp, 221 cu. in. L-head V8 engine, three-speed sliding gear manual transmission, solid front axle and ¾-floating rear axle, transverse semi-elliptic leaf springs front and rear, and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 112".
Source: RM Auctions