Buick Invicta Convertible
In a major shift, Buick abandoned its longstanding model names for 1959. Gone were the Specials, Centuries and Roadmasters, which were replaced by the LeSabre, Invicta and Electra. New names or not, they heralded the beginning of one of the strongest decades Buick had seen in years, one in which it would secure fifth place in industry rankings. The Invicta, meaning “unconquerable” in Latin, combined the largest and most-powerful Buick V-8 engine with a relatively lightweight full-size body, in the GM division’s longstanding tradition.
All-new bodies for 1961 were clean and sculpted with a bullet-shaped profile, advertised as the “Clean Look of Action.” While wheelbase length remained unchanged from 1960, the new Invicta was at once shorter, lower, narrower and lighter than before. Engineering advancements included an all-new X-type frame, a three-link rear suspension and the replacement of torque-tube drive with a two-piece driveshaft.
The Invicta’s 325-horsepower, 401-cubic inch “Wildcat 445” V-8, named in recognition of its incredible torque output, provided acceleration from rest to 60 mph in less than ten seconds and top speeds exceeding 120 mph. The standard transmission choice was Buick’s Dual-Path Turbine automatic transmission, a refinement of Buick’s venerable Dynaflow unit.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
325 bhp, 401 cu. in. V-8 engine, four-barrel carburetor, Dual-Path Turbine four-speed automatic transmission, independent front suspension with coil springs, three-link rear axle with outboard lower links and upper stabilizer bar, and front disc, rear drum hydraulic brakes. Wheelbase: 123".
Source: RM Auctions