Nash Ambassador Custom Convertible
Nash came about as a result of a grudge. When William Durant lost control of General Motors to his bankers, they named Durant protégé Charles W. Nash president. Durant saw this as a betrayal, and after he built Chevrolet and used it to take back General Motors in 1916, he promptly discharged Nash.
Nash then bought Kenosha, Wisconsin-based Thomas B. Jeffrey Company, makers of the well-respected Rambler. He built the company into one of the foremost independent carmakers, before it went on to become the Nash-Kelvinator Corporation. Nash built mostly solid, middle class cars – engineered to last and priced within reach of the average American family.
As was the case with most American car companies, Nash’s postwar production mirrored the prewar line, but good management and a strong product led the company to tenth place in the industry by 1947, with production of 113,000 cars. The Airflyte series, in particular, was the product of extensive wind tunnel testing and benefited from excellent fuel economy and increased performance as a result of its drag coefficient, the lowest of any mass-produced car to date. The shape was smooth, wide and low with enclosed front and rear fenders, and resulted in a very large and well-ventilated passenger compartment. The Ambassador was the top of the line model in the Airflyte series, of which the most desirable offering was certainly the convertible, which was re-introduced for 1948. Just 1,000 examples were built, however, as production priorities rested on Nash’s closed cars.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in March of 2009 at the The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida and in July of 2011 at The Inn at St. John's, Plymouth, Michigan.
112bhp, 235 cu. in. solid lifter overhead valve inline six-cylinder cast iron block engine, three-speed transmission, independent front suspension, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 112"
Source: RM Auctions