It’s impossible to think of the Ford Motor Company today and not be reminded of the importance of trucks in the company’s model line up. We’ve all heard the claim time and again that the F-Series pickup is America’s #1 most popular vehicle line. Such was not the case in Ford Motor Company’s early days. The Model T, first introduced in 1908, didn’t even have a factory-built pickup as part of its lineup until 1925, when FoMoCo introduced the Model T Roadster Pickup.
Not long after the introduction of the Model T, businesses and farmers began requesting commercial versions of the venerable T in letters to both dealers and Henry Ford himself. To address their needs, Ford’s Highland Park plant began producing in 1911 what was listed in Ford’s catalogs as the Model T Commercial Chassis. If ordered, the customer received a Model T chassis devoid of any bodywork except the cowl, engine cover, radiator, front fenders and headlamps.
The Model T’s sturdy chassis included stout side rails, sturdy stamped-steel cross members, forged steel body mounts and a tough vanadium-steel front axle. In addition, the novel three-point suspension effectively isolated the frame and powertrain from road shock, lessening chassis flex, particularly when carrying a full load. As time passed, variations of bodies produced by independent manufacturers were virtually endless. One need only attend a meet of vintage Model Ts as proof.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
22 hp, 176 cu. in. side-valve L-head four-cylinder engine, two-speed planetary transmission, hand-operated mechanical brakes, rear wheels only, foot-activated contracting bands on driveshaft, transverse leaf springs and solid axles front and rear. Wheelbase: 100".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Stephen Goodal