Lincoln Model K Sedan
As WWI ended, Henry Leland was beset with a huge factory, 6,000 employees and mounting debt. Building an automobile was what he knew best…and that’s what he did. Within three hours of announcing his new automobile, Leland had raised $6.5 million in stock. The automobile was named Lincoln in honor of the first president for whom Leland had voted. Despite brilliant engineering, the cars were very conservative looking and, thanks to Leland’s tenacious attention to detail, very late in getting to the market. After 17 months, just 3,400 had been sold against projections of 6,000 per year. Red ink was flowing and Leland’s Board of Directors was quick to find a solution. On February 4, 1922, Ford Motor Company bought the Lincoln Motor Company for $8 million. Leland left after just four months with Ford putting his son Edsel in control of the new luxury division. Edsel’s innate sense of style combined with the brilliant engineering of Lincoln would prove a successful marriage enabling the marque to grow and prosper as part of the Ford lineup in years to come.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
120 hp, 384.8 cu. in. L-head V-8 engine, three-speed manual sliding gear transmission, Bendix Dual Servo mechanical brakes on all four wheels, full floating rear axle. Wheelbase: 145".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel