Cadillac Model B
Henry Leland’s improved Model B Cadillac was introduced in January 1904. A transverse leaf front spring replaced the Model A’s longitudinal semi-elliptics, and the car grew a box-like front hood, although the engine remained under the seat. The radiator was located at the front, just below the hood.
Although the same size as that of the 1903 Model A, which continued in production, the Model B’s engine was rated at 8¼ horsepower, 25 percent more than previously, probably attributable to understatement on Cadillac’s part. Their 1903 ads had claimed “higher than advertised or calculated H.P.,” which apparently it was. The Model B was available as a runabout, a four-passenger surrey, a rear-entrance tonneau and a two-passenger delivery car. Prices ranged from $800 to $900, and sales rose slightly despite a factory fire that shut down production for 45 days. In fact, the company returned 1,500 deposits because they were unable to fill the orders.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
8.25 hp, 98.2 cu. in. horizontal single-cylinder engine, two-speed planetary transmission, solid front axle with transverse leaf spring, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs and single chain drive, dual differential-mounted brakes. Wheelbase: 72".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Stephen Goodal