Packard Standard Eight Convertible Coupe
Packard’s Eighth Series was introduced on August 14, 1930. The Standard Eight lineup included a short wheelbase 826 sedan and eleven body styles on the longer 134.5-inch wheelbase, plus nine offered as “Individual Customs.” Two of these were built by Dietrich, while the rest were products of Packard’s new in-house custom body shop.
The manifolds and valves of 1930s Speedster models were adopted for all 1931 Packards, boosting the Standard Eight’s horsepower from 90 to 100. Tires were smaller than before, 19 x 6.50, with disk wheels standard and wires or wood artillery wheels optional. Sidemounted spares were available as an alternative to the standard rear-mounted single tire. In concert with several other prestige manufacturers, Packard continued to offer a four-speed transmission as standard equipment.
Despite these features, the deepening Depression hindered car sales. Packard’s 1931 model year production barely exceeded 15,000, hardly a third of the previous year’s total. Most were built in the final months of 1930, as Eighth Series production was halted in June 1931 and replaced with the face-lifted Ninth Series. As a result, 1931 Packards are rare in today’s market.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2009 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
100bhp, 319.2 cu. in. L-head inline eight-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, front and rear semi-elliptic leaf spring suspension, four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 134.5"
Source: RM Auctions