Lincoln Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
Lincoln was Henry Martyn Leland’s second automobile company, formed after he left Cadillac in a dispute with General Motors president Billy Durant. The “Master of Precision,” as Leland was known, was Cadillac’s founder, remaining in charge after selling out to General Motors. Championing precision manufacture and interchangeable parts, Leland had changed the face of the motor industry. The Lincoln Motor Company was formed in 1917 to build Liberty aircraft engines for World War I. After the armistice, however, Lincoln’s government contracts were cancelled and much of the workforce was idled.
Leland’s solution to the problem was to re-enter a business he knew, the manufacture of motor cars. The first Lincolns appeared in September 1920 to an enthusiastic reception by the press. A slow start to production, partly a result of Leland’s obsession with perfection, compounded by a nationwide recession, soon put Lincoln into receivership. Henry Ford came to the rescue, purchasing the Lincoln Motor Company for eight million dollars in 1922. Leland’s relief was short lived, however. Within four months he had a falling out with Ford and departed the automobile business for good.
Lincoln became the flagship of Ford’s empire, its fortunes entrusted largely to Henry’s son Edsel. Lincoln’s sales were never immense, but its prestige was an asset, particularly after Edsel’s fine eye for design did away with the perpendicular Leland-era bodies. Edsel looked to coachbuilders for inspiration, and enlisted such custom houses as Brunn, Judkins, Willoughby, Murphy and Locke to provide bodies, many of which appeared in Lincoln’s catalogs. In mid-1929, however, Lincoln took some of this body work in-house, replacing Locke-built phaetons with Lincoln’s own bodies, both with and without the tonneau cowl.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2009 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
90bhp, 384.8 cu. in. L-head V8 engine, three-speed manual transmission, suspension via front and rear semi-elliptic leaf springs, solid front axle, live rear axle, and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 136"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel