Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 GS by Castagna
Alfa Romeo’s racing heritage and competition success date back to the early 20th century and predate many of Europe’s greatest sports car builders. After the First World War, Alfa was building good, reliable production cars but lacked the expertise to design successful racing machinery, so a scheme was hatched to hire the engineer responsible for Fiat’s Grand Prix racing cars, Vittorio Jano. The hiring of Jano proved a wise decision as he brought with him unrivalled flair, experience and the latest in race car design. The Italian maker would return to its roots in racing with much success, winning its first Grand Prix World Championship in 1925.
Alfa Romeo introduced the 1752 cc six-cylinder powered cars designed by Jano in 1929. Adept on both road and racing circuits, the powerplant proved reliable and powerful, offering impressive output from its relatively small displacement. Further benefiting from excellent handling, the car, in top factory racing engine trim, could comfortably exceed 160 km/h.
The 6C 1750 is significant for introducing in-house manufactured saloon bodies along with those produced by firms such as Touring, Castagna and Zagato, among others. Three models were available: the single overhead cam Turismo with 122-inch wheelbase and a maximum speed of about 110 km/h; the twin overhead cam Gran Turismo with 108-inch or 114-inch wheelbase and a top speed of about 130 km/h; and the Gran Sport or Super Sport, a supercharged Gran Turismo producing 85 hp and a top speed of 150 km/h. Regardless of the version, the 6C remains today one of the most compelling and desirable of all Alfas. All told, Alfa Romeo built a total of 2,579 1750s through 1933, of which very few were supercharged “GS” examples.
Just three months after its introduction, a 1750 driven by Giuseppe Campari and Giulio Ramponi would win the 1929 Mille Miglia. Later that year, Marinoni and Benoist won the Belgian 24 Hour Race at Spa. Alfa would take the Targa Florio too, and one year later, the company won its second Mille Miglia in addition to a host of other events. The company went on to take the chequered flag in eight Mille Miglias during the 1930s as well as the German Grand Prix in 1935 against the formidable Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union entries. Alfa Romeo began the 1930s as it ended the 1920s – dominating Italy’s sports car and competition scene.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in May of 2010 at the Grimaldi Forum, Monaco.
85 hp, 1,752 cc twin overhead-camshaft inline six-cylinder engine with supercharger, four-speed manual gearbox, tubular front beam axle and semi-elliptic leaf springs, semi-elliptic rear springs and torque tube, four-wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 2,740 mm (108")
Source: RM Auctions