Chrysler Town & Country Convertible
The Town & Country was Chrysler’s top of the line vehicle and the pinnacle of postwar glamour. It was a dazzling expression of status when new and remains so today. It is powered by a 135 hp, 324 cubic inch “Spitfire” straight eight with Fluid Drive transmission. Produced from 1946 through 1950, the model was based on the New Yorker chassis and built in limited numbers due to its complexity and high exterior maintenance. Initially, Chrysler’s brochure listed five Town & Country body styles, but only two were widely available: the convertible and the four-door sedan. Though Buick is given credit for producing the first hardtop, Chrysler arguably beat GM to the punch when beginning in 1946, pillarless coupe roofs were bolted onto Town & Country Convertible bodies. Just seven Coupes would be produced through 1950.
Chrysler’s first ’49 models were carry-over ‘48s. Ads were quick to point out the company’s 25th anniversary and its totally redesigned “Second Series” which arrived in spring 1949. Safety was stressed including Safety-Level Ride, Safety-Rim Wheels and Safe-Guard hydraulic brakes. The new styling featured flush front fenders and an ornate, massive egg crate grille while interiors featured the industry’s first padded dashboard as well as Chrysler’s first starter/ignition key switch.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August 2009 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California and in August of 2010 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California.
135 hp, 323.5 cu. in. “Spitfire” inline eight-cylinder engine, three-speed manual Fluid Drive transmission, Chrysler “Safe-Guard” hydraulic brakes. Wheelbase: 131.5".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel