Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
Introduced in 1955 the Silver Cloud progressed through continuous development to the Silver Cloud II, introduced in 1959, to the last of the line, the Silver Cloud III. Introduced toward the end of 1962, the Silver Cloud III had mainly cosmetic changes, the most notable being the four headlamp set-up. In the engine department, it was claimed that the V8 now produced eight percent more power than the Silver Cloud II, which resulted in a horsepower increase to almost 220 brake horsepower.
Power steering was again standard (and very necessary), but now the GM/Rolls-Royce transmission was offered in only three ratio form compared to the Silver Cloud II’s four. Such was the smoothness of selection, it was felt that the car benefited from fewer gearshifts in its near-silent progress while accelerating. In the U.S., the Silver Cloud III was tremendously successful and the slogan coined by David Ogilvy’s advertising agency, “At 60 miles per hour the loudest noise in this new Rolls-Royce comes from the electric clock,” became an instantly recognizable classic in its own right.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August 2009 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California and in January of 2011 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
216 bhp 6,230cc aluminum V8 engine, twin SU carburetors, four-speed automatic transmission, steel ladder frame, independent front suspension by upper and lower A-arms with coil springs and hydraulic shock absorbers, live rear axle with semi-elliptic springs and hydraulic shock absorbers, four-wheel servo-assisted drum brakes. Wheelbase: 123".
Source: RM Auctions