Cadillac Model K Light Runabout
Despite introduction of the four-cylinder Model D in 1905, Cadillac’s single-cylinder cars were sufficiently popular that they remained in production through 1908. That year, a team of three Model K Cadillacs triumphed in the Dewar competition in England, being disassembled, their parts scrambled, then reassembled and easily started. This demonstration of Henry Leland’s principles of precision manufacture earned Cadillac the Dewar Trophy and led to the slogan “The Standard of the World.”
By 1905, however, under-seat engines were becoming passé, so Cadillac disguised the fact by mounting a dummy hood over the front axle with a vertical radiator at the front. New single-cylinder models for 1906 were the K and M, which differed only in wheelbase (M was two inches longer).
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in July of 2010 at the Shotwell Gustafson Pavilion at Meadow Brook Hall, Rochester, Michigan.
10 bhp, 98.2 cu. in. horizontal single-cylinder engine, two-speed planetary transmission, solid front axle with transverse leaf spring, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs and single chain drive, dual differential-mounted brakes. Wheelbase: 74"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel