Rolls-Royce 40/50 Phantom II Cabriolet Hunting Car
Hooper & Co. began as coachbuilders Adams and Hooper in London in 1805. One of the first to adapt to the automobile age, the firm was renowned for the finest workmanship and attention to client requirements. Received by Hoopers on 7th December, the car was completed as body number 7319, in time to embark on the S.S. Ranchi on 28th February 1930 for Bombay. As originally built, it had a special high-speed axle ratio, shorter-than-standard gear and brake levers, and stronger springs. Ghulab Singh Ju Deo Bahadur succeeded his father in 1918, becoming the 43rd Maharaja of Rewa. It was he who took delivery of 86XJ. At some point, the Maharaja had the car re-bodied as a limousine. In the late 1930s, he had it further modified for hunting by removing the roof and creating a four-door cabriolet complete with special gun brackets and holsters. The current 1930s firearms are inoperable.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in May of 2010 at the Grimaldi Forum, Monaco.
40/50 hp, 7,668 cc overhead-valve six-cylinder engine, dual ignition with coil and magneto, four-speed manual gearbox, solid front axle and underslung live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, four-wheel servo-assisted brakes. Wheelbase: 3,810 mm (150")
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Tom Wood