Ford Super Deluxe Woodie Station Wagon
Marmon-Herrington, Incorporated, of Indianapolis, Indiana, began converting Ford cars and trucks to four-wheel drive in 1937. The company, originally formed to build all-wheel drive military vehicles, was kept busy during World War II building combat tanks and trucks, as well as wreckers and winch trucks for barrage balloons.
At war’s end, the company embarked on a program of diversification, entering the market for multi-stop delivery vehicles. The Delivr-All was a short-wheelbase van with a removable front axle and engine unit. Equipped for standing or seated drivers, it was built from 1945 to 1952.
Production of converted Fords resumed in 1946, using the new 69A models as a basis. These continued through the end of 89A production in June 1948. Six cylinder engines became available near the end. Thereafter, conversions were confined to F-1, F-3 and F-4 trucks. In 1950, production began on a Ranger model, a conversion of an F-1 panel truck in the four-wheel drive Suburban idiom. The advent of factory four-wheel drive at Ford in 1959, however, put an end to the long record of Marmon-Herrington conversions.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August 2009 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California and in June of 2012 at the Dingman Collection, Hampton, New Hampshire.
100 bhp, 239 cu. in. Flathead V8 engine, four-speed manual transmission, live front axle with longitudinal semi-elliptic leaf springs and quarter-elliptic torque springs, live rear axle with transverse semi-elliptic leaf spring, four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 114".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel