Ford V8 Woodie Station Wagon
The 1936 Fords are considered among the most attractive of the era, courtesy of a front end restyle by Holden “Bob” Koto of Briggs Manufacturing Company. Koto, whose career spanned nearly 40 years, later helped Dick Caleal model the 1949 Ford and worked for Raymond Loewy on the 1953 Studebaker. Wire wheels were abandoned for a pressed steel design with a wider bolt circle. A larger radiator aided cooling, and transmissions gained helical gears for first and reverse. Additionally, 1936 also saw the first use of insert engine main bearings.
The station wagons continued the new body adopted in 1935, but several changes were adopted during the year. In April, it was announced that safety glass would be available in rear doors and quarter panels. The glass was removable, but could not be adjusted or easily opened. In June, a Deluxe Accessory Group was added to the options list, consisting of chrome wheel trim rings, tandem windshield wipers, the Deluxe “banjo” steering wheel, a glove compartment lock, a sun visor and a dome light. The transition from commercial utility vehicle to upscale passenger car had begun.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August 2009 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California.
85 bhp, 221 cu. in. Flathead V8 engine, three-speed manual transmission with Columbia two-speed rear end, solid front axle and live rear axle with transverse semi-elliptic leaf springs, four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 112".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel