Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
Rolls-Royce has never been reluctant to express the quality of its automobiles, nor abashed about putting it to the test. In a mid-1960s advertising campaign, they declared that “many people have paid the price of the best car in the world without ever owning it.” By this time, the Silver Cloud had reached its ultimate and most refined specification.
The Silver Cloud was the premier Rolls-Royce model from 1955 until 1966 and marked the company’s transition from the coachbuilt cars of its past to the new era of production manufacturing. It enjoyed continuous development that eventually resulted in the Silver Cloud II, which was introduced in 1959 and was itself replaced by the Silver Cloud III, the final iteration of the series. Introduced in 1962, the Silver Cloud III differed primarily with cosmetic changes, the most notable being a four-bulb headlamp arrangement. The slogan coined by David Ogilvy’s advertising agency – “At 60 miles per hour the loudest noise in this new Rolls-Royce comes from the electric clock” – became an instantly recognizable classic in its own right.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2009 at the Battersea Evolution, London and in May of 2010 at the Grimaldi Forum, Monaco.
216 bhp, 6,230 cc aluminium V8 engine, twin SU carburettors, four-speed automatic transmission, independent front suspension with upper and lower A-arms, coil springs and hydraulic shock absorbers, live rear axle with semi-elliptic springs and hydraulic shock absorbers, and four-wheel servo-assisted hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 123"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Tom Wood