Aston Martin DB4
In 1956, Aston Martin began development of the all-new DB4, which debuted at the London Motor Show during the autumn of 1958. Not only did it set the tone of Aston Martin styling for years to come, the DB4 also introduced an updated engine designed by Tadek Marek, whose name became synonymous with the marque’s engineering and performance excellence.
The DOHC DB4 engine displaced 3,670 cc, was entirely constructed of aluminium and produced 240 bhp in standard tune with twin SU carburettors. Most importantly, the new 3.7-litre “six” provided a platform for further development and continued, with various displacements and power ratings, through mid-1972.
Aston Martin turned to Carrozzeria Touring for its Superleggera (super light) body design, comprising a lightweight yet strong framework of small-diameter tubes cloaked in aluminium panels. The chassis, designed by Harold Beach, was both simpler and more rigid than that of its predecessors, using a new pressed-steel platform frame. Four-wheel Dunlop disc brakes enhanced the DB4’s safety, with the car capable of some 140 mph. The DB4 claims the distinction of being the first production car capable of sprinting from 0-100 mph and back down to zero in less than 30 seconds. It is the model that placed Aston Martin back on equal footing with Ferrari and Maserati, its main Italian archrivals.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in June of 2011 at the Syon House, London.
240 bhp, 3,670 cc DOHC inline six-cylinder engine, twin SU carburettors, four-speed manual gearbox, independent front suspension with upper and lower control arms, coil springs and anti-roll bar, live rear axle with Watt linkage, trailing links and coil springs, and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 98"
Source: RM Auctions